The Student Room Group

which universities accept additional further Mathematics and which do not?

So I found out Warwick will not accept additional further mathematics, which is a big influence on me deciding I will do Physics next year if I get the grades to justify applying to Warwick. I have been thinking I probably wont get an A* as I make to many silly mistakes and the margins are small but who knows.

I mean basically it varies but usually you need 68 to get an A* that means I have to get every single question on C3 and C4 and also make very few mistakes and one year for C4 you needed 72.

obviously I am going to a semi decent university regardless because even If I get B or heaven forbid C grades in places I can resit and go to a lower university but I dont think that will happen.

so its not just the top universites. I am not sure if it is just Warwick who will not accept additional further maths or if their are others. However I would not be surprised if their were others.

I know that if Maths and further Maths goes well in theory you can basically be in a scenario where your likely to get A*/A in additional maths even with poor grades in the final six modules because modules can be shoveled around all three A levels.

I mean no university has said that is the reason but I think it will influence the decision a bit. So is it only Warwick who do not accept additional further maths or is it other universities to?

I mean Hypothetically if I get A*A* I will be applying to Imperial and one of Oxbridge as well even though I am 90% sure of flat out rejection from them.

then Bristol and have not confirmed my fifth choice if I get the A*A* yet.

so hypothetically Warwick make me an offer (they probably wont I know they make a lot of offers but I had an autistic stupid moment with one of the admissions tutors I sometimes do this as a result of been autistic do not want to mention details) and Bristol do to.

so now I can firm Warwick and insure Bristol assuming Bristol are okay with additional further maths and thus If I flunk physics I am fairly safe with my place at Bristol.

However this plan wont work if for example Bristol don't like additional further maths which might well be the case.

what if I suck at Physics next year?
Reply 1
Original post by Luke7456
So I found out Warwick will not accept additional further mathematics

Where do they state that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Where do they state that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have not found that anywhere on their website but I asked them directly about my chances and thats when i had my Autistic Retard moment that probably has permanently ruined my chances anyway.

they explicitly said they do not accept additional further maths because they like your education to be more broad. so unless they actually lied to me which I don't think would be the case.
Reply 3
Original post by Luke7456
I have not found that anywhere on their website but I asked them directly about my chances and thats when i had my Autistic Retard moment that probably has permanently ruined my chances anyway.

they explicitly said they do not accept additional further maths because they like your education to be more broad. so unless they actually lied to me which I don't think would be the case.

Get it in writing from them. Email saying which A-levels you plan on doing and ask them to confirm if they are acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Get it in writing from them. Email saying which A-levels you plan on doing and ask them to confirm if they are acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay really I am hoping that conversation is permanently forgotten so emailing them within a week or two of the conversation to cement it in their brains and put my email address on their system is just not in my plans.

I would need to wait at least a few months before I do something like that at which point it is exams. so I will wait until after exams I wouldn't be sitting or studying Physics till next year regardless, and if I end up getting As and Bs its pretty pointless anyway don't think Warwick are a massive fan of resits. So given all that I might as well wait until results day. My plan is to get a jump start on preparing for the MAT and additional further maths before I even see results. I mean if I can get 3 modules completed before results day then I am half way to additional further maths another month or two and I can then focus on MAT STEPs and Physics which with good time management having a whole year should go very well.

I always screw things up socially due to been autistic the only universities I have had positive experiences when speaking to are Imperial and Manchester.

just only contacting universities from now on if absolutely necessary.
Reply 5
It appears so far that Warwick may be the only university to whom this applies. Their is also a few comments about taking additional further maths modules on Oxfords Q and A page which may be indicating that they too will not accept additional further maths.

However this not really clear.

I guess if Oxford accept additional further maths then doing Physics just for the sake of Warwick does not seem like the best possible move.

If I put Physics on my application form next year then a lot of universities may or may not ask for the additional grade in Physics Eg if I apply with A*A* in maths and further maths the third A* is a formality basically. So any offers would almost be a formality unless they include Step in which case more stress I could deal with the extra time to study for that.

However if offers did not include step then we are looking at a formality, until I add Physics then they may ask for A*A* or A*A instead of just A* etc for the following year.

Which means a big sweat. So the only justification for adding Physics would be if I thought that it would make a significant difference to my chances of been made an offer from Imperial or Oxford.

or If Oxford and Imperial reject me since I want to go to a COWI university I guess I would add Physics at that point then I can add Warwick to the application form.

would adding an A level in Physics bearing in mind it would be pending make much of a significant difference to my chances of been made an offer at Imperial or Oxford?
Reply 6
Okay so far have confirmed Oxford, Imperial College, Durham and Nottingham all accept additional further maths

Bristol, Bath and Manchester could not give definitive answers actually i think Manchester said they did cant remember that detail now that is worrying.

So the only university I have found that do not accept additional further maths is Warwick.

I will write to them next year assuming I am successful with Maths and Further Maths to ask if me having a degree makes any difference.

However Oxford Imperial Durham and Bristol are all hot targets of mine and I don't think any of them require Physics. I would likely get offers from Durham and Bristol, and with a strong performance in the MAT an offer from imperial + an interview with at Oxford.

it does not appear that an A level in Physics would make a significant difference to me getting an offer unless I applied to Cambridge who i think accept additional further maths but like Physics.

So in reality all Physics can do is add another condition to offers I probably would have got anyway. as well as costing £150 or whatever for each exam plus hotel stays + transport + food out etc.

So basically a grand or so expenditure and a lot of extra time commitment to get stressed out about entry requirements that did not need to apply.

if say my odds of getting an Oxbridge offer were X and my odds of getting an Oxbridge offer if I took Physics next year as well were X+0.4X say so lets assume my odds were 42.5% with Physics my odds were now 59.5% then Sure it is probably worth taking.

However This appears to not be the case.

So I guess I wont be applying to Warwick if they wont take additional further maths.
Reply 7
Manchester got back to me in writing they Say they would prefer a third non Maths subject but if that is all I have they would accept it.

so I guess that is only relevant to whether i would get an offer or not and I am assuming if I have AA or better they would make an offer.
I mean I can't really see how it would be a problem. Additional Further Maths is great if you can take it as most people have to self teach it, and self-learning is a skill that's really going to benefit you at university. Also it's officially an A-level and it's relevant to your subject so there's no real reason for anyone to dismiss it.

The real question is if you are doing three maths a-levels, why are you doing physics when you could be doing maths? Maths is way more fun. :P
Reply 9
Original post by TimGB
I mean I can't really see how it would be a problem. Additional Further Maths is great if you can take it as most people have to self teach it, and self-learning is a skill that's really going to benefit you at university. Also it's officially an A-level and it's relevant to your subject so there's no real reason for anyone to dismiss it.

The real question is if you are doing three maths a-levels, why are you doing physics when you could be doing maths? Maths is way more fun. :P

I am still not sure about doing Physics so far Warwick Leeds and LoughBorough have stated they will not accept Additional Further Maths.
Oxford Imperial and Durham have all confirmed they do accept.
St Andrews said they accept additional further maths but that my application would not be competitive with only 3 recent A levels and I would need at least 4. They seem to be the only university that stated that.

Bath and Bristol and Newcastle are yet to get back to me.

Southampton York and Kings college all said they accept.

I didn't plan on asking anyone else because I am not planning on going to other universities.

If Bristol come back and say they won't accept additional further maths, then I think that is to much weight to it and I will have to do Physics. I mean I really don't want to forgo Warwick but if they are the only university that I would need to do Physics for then Maybe its best I just apply to others. there was always the strategy of applying to four then adding Warwick and adding Physics to my application so I dont get pinned by any of the other universities asking me to get an A in Physics etc, though not sure if they can/do alter or withdraw offers if you change the A levels your doing. I know obviously if you remove one they can, but not sure how it works if you add one.

Loughborough have some fantastic statistics and quite a few strong selling points but I do worry they wont get me to the same standard as Warwick or Bristol etc. Their kind of where I think I go if I can't get A*s which could happen. They have implied they wont accept Physics though either so I would have to do an IB or something. I mentioned I had A levels from before and a degree and they asked me to send email a copy of the certificates but I am not applying this academic cycle so it seems overkill for just a query.

but at this point I might look really bad if I don't so I will have to go through my filing system and find it all. its not as bad as it sounds, all my qualifications are in a folder but that folder is in a box with a load of other stuff so I would have to dig it up. It would probably hurt my application if I ever applied there and I did not reply to that email. Its an odd one because I looked at their official entry requirements which are AAA but according to statistics I got from best course 4 u their average student score was around ABB which implies they set higher grades to appear more prestigious. I got BBB in the past which was way back when so was thinking if I had AA and just added one of the B grades or my degree that might do it but I have a feeling they would say no. I guess what attracts me to Loughborough is they have great teaching availability and somehow manage to hold in the tables despite taking students with lower grades, I normally bash people for arguing all non Russel groups have great teaching, but it appears like it really is the case with Loughborough.

I think I can start filtering out universities that don't offer maths with statistics or Mathematics and statistics because I want to do a lot of probability work its where my main interests are.

If I have to forgo Warwick and Loughborough from my application that is one thing I don't like it but meh. If I have to lose Bristol and Bath to I think I would then have to do Physics.
Reply 10
finally got a response from Bath they said that they currently do accept additional further Maths. However they are reviewing this very issue and thus may change that so contact them again next academic year.

This effectively means it is 95% chance they will change that so now universities that do not accept additional further Maths will be
Warwick Leeds Loughborough and Bath. If Bristol come back and say they do not accept additional further maths I will have no choice but to do Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest