The Student Room Group

i dont know why i picked A-level Further Maths?

i am in final year of university right now on a computer science course.

however 6 years ago i made the choice for some reason to pick maths, further maths and physics .

picking these subjects caused me stress and depression to unimaginable levels and it caused me to develop a mental health disorder for which i am on medication.

i then picked engineering for university and then dropped out the first year.

i keep thinking about this wrong mistake in the past, and i just feel like crying...

why have i made such wrong choices in life, i have literally threw my precious years away .
bump?
Did you go to a sixth form?
You would've needed to have at least 15 hours of study per week to be classed as a 'full-time' student.
I'd assume you didn't do 7.5 hours a week (lesson-time) on one subject and so that third was probably necessary - and how do you know it didn't help you get into uni? Of course 3 A-levels looks better than 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
i was in a similar situation to you, but my depression wasn't caused by academic choices (i doubt yours was either, it's usually something more important than that, like family issues), though i did take the same subjects, and I went on to do physics which i dropped out of. i recommend you don't consider yourself a failure for this, but think of it as a necessary step toward finding your true passion.

find a job and a hobby and live a relaxed life. you're not here for long so don't spend your days dwelling on what could have been.

oh and remember to eat your vegetables.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physichemistry
Did you go to a sixth form?
You would've needed to have at least 15 hours of study per week to be classed as a 'full-time' student.
I'd assume you didn't do 7.5 hours a week (lesson-time) on one subject and so that third was probably necessary - and how do you know it didn't help you get into uni? Of course 3 A-levels looks better than 2.

yes i did go to sixth form
Original post by IFLICHBA
i was in a similar situation to you, but my depression wasn't caused by academic choices (i doubt yours was either, it's usually something more important than that, like family issues), though i did take the same subjects, and I went on to do physics which i dropped out of. i recommend you don't consider yourself a failure for this, but think of it as a necessary step toward finding your true passion.

find a job and a hobby and live a relaxed life. you're not here for long so don't spend your days dwelling on what could have been.

oh and remember to eat your vegetables.

i still cant get over it
Reply 7
Original post by study beats
i still cant get over it

What are you now studying at uni?
ahaha further maths haha ha h.. starts crying... lol my exams are killing me. FP2 why u do dis?
Original post by stoyfan
What are you now studying at uni?

comp sci
So your going to graduate in computer science soon anyway. Which as I understand is a lucrative career path.

We all make mistakes I am 32 and will Hopefully be going back to university to start my second degree in in 2018. I will be 33 when I start my math degree all been well.

Let me put it this way I didn't get into that spot by not making mistakes in the past. However if I end up at a very decent university the past wont matter what matters is right now I am achieving stuff. It is never to late for things like that.

Now if I flunked these exams and years later when I was stacking Shelves at Tesco with a customer calling me stupid etc, if I looked back on that failure I would be very depressed.

However should my exams go well and I end up at a COWI university or potentially Bristol/Durham etc I will be able to say hey I did this I got a degree from a world class university.

If you gain a nice career in computer science and a decade from now your on six figures and enjoying the sun of mexico etc, will it really matter that you made the wrong decision when you were 16 or however old?

Quick Reply

Latest