The Student Room Group

How can I become a nurse?

Hi :smile: Okay so for a long as I can remember I've wanted to be a nurse. Up until 2 years ago I was a straight A student , I had really good predicted GCSE grades and a plan to study biology, psychology and maths at college. Becuase of illness I ended up missing a lot of school in year 10 and 11 (attendance was lower than 30%). I ended up with four Cs and two Ds, which is no where near good enough for the courses I wanted. I've had to take another year out of education, but I'm recovering quickly and I think I'll be able to handle college next year. Because of my GCSE grades I think my best option is to take Btec health and social care. What I would like to know is if I would I be able to get onto a nursing course at a good uni ? or would I have more chance if I retook some GCSEs and then did A levels ? Or is there a better way to go about it?
Reply 1
I think most nursing degrees need maths and English GCSE at C or above. Someone who studies with me had a similar background to yours and is currently studying an access to nursing course, AND redoing their maths & English GCSES at the same time (at the same college). Would be a tough year, but you'd have what you need to get into uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, im a 3rd year nursing student and what Rupert said is correct. GCSE maths and English to a standard of C is crucial. Most unis also ask for a C grade in GCSE science or an equivalent which could be a BTEC in Science. A lot of people on my nursing course have either got the A level grades or did an access to nursing course.
But to sum up, youd definitely need C grades in maths, English and science and youd need to either complete a levels or complete an access course, neither sound easier than the other from what ive heard from those who did that access course. BTEC health and social care also looks good but make sure you have the GCSE's first as they are crucial.

I wish you luck! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending