Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever had a relatively close friend of the opposite sex whom you developed feelings for? What do you do if the two of you begin to drift because you are to nervous to talk to them? A crush isn't worth loosing a friendship over, so what's my problem? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricket)
    Have you ever had a relatively close friend of the opposite sex whom you developed feelings for? What do you do if the two of you begin to drift because you are to nervous to talk to them? A crush isn't worth loosing a friendship over, so what's my problem? :confused:
    Oh, quite a few times actually, tis quite annoying, especially when they like yo so much they will not go out with you.

ReputationRep:
    I would be to afraid to ask him out anyway. It's quite embarrassing don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Been there, done that, ruined many a good friendship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    Been there, done that, ruined many a good friendship
    That is the danger of changing a friendship with someone to a relationship. When the relationship goes the friendship can go with it, not always but there's a risk.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i spoilt a friendship when i told the girl i liked her....

we used to cycle home from school together, then it all fell apart she didn't know how to respond, and she had a really strict dad who was completely against these things and would listen in on her phone calls etc. i only found out about that later... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricket)
    I have a friend with whom I was in that situation. It was slightly complicated by the fact she is going out with my oldest mate and still is. My advice, keep it to yourself, it will pass eventually. I know if I had said anything that it would have destroyed my relationship with both of them, the benefits were outweighed by the risk. Somethings are better left to yourself.

Of course it is ultimately up to you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Oh, quite a few times actually, tis quite annoying, especially when they like yo so much they will not go out with you.
    I thought that's a classic rejection line too? :confused:

I've also ruined friendships over this type of thing, actually not worth it in the long run. *Echoes previous advice by others*

ReputationRep:
    Ohh...i'm so in that situation at the moment....I really like this guy at work...and he keeps making comments like "you'll be absolutely stunning when you're in you're twenties..not that you're not stunning now!" and "you can touch me any time you like" and random "grr"s! Although, I'm inclined to think this is more friendly flirting.....although....these comments are very frequent.
    Anyway, over the past couple of months I've developed quite strong feelings for him...and I can't talk to anybody about it because they wouldn't really understand. I don't know how to handle the situation, and it's making me quite upset/emotional/deranged....plus I might (please god) be going to uni after next thursday........... Help

ReputationRep:
    i understand completely. it always seems to happen to me and is never reciprocated

ReputationRep:
    Yes, since i left school i've been really close friends with this girl, and a while ago i had a massive crush on her which kind of scared her for a bit cos of all the gossip it started, but i sent her an email explaining how i felt and that i didnt want to loose a great freindship, and now we're probaby better friends than we were before, its arkward for a while but u'll get over it

ReputationRep:
    Well i can tell you from experience that it's HORRIBLE to be on the recieving end of such a crush...

one of my closest guy friends took me into a room and eloquently confessed his feelings for me...it was AWFUL! I had no clue what to say because it was so unexpected, and when i finally found my vocal chords the only thing i could say was "Well.....it....must be nice to get that one off your chest" and promptly exited!

Things have been awkward between us ever since. Trust me, it's not worth it, unless you're positive she feels the same way.

ReputationRep:
    it's even weirder when somebody you don't particularly like as a person, who also appears to hate your guts, suddenly confesses. i fell out with a guy i know (not very well, but well enough) over something- he proceeded to "hate" not just me but most of my friends as well, a few of wehom he was kinda close with. then 4 months down the line he confesses he has feelings for me....

ReputationRep:

I've lost good friends by developing crushes on them, going out with them and then watching it all go wrong....

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it's happened before. I had a great relationship that came out of getting close to a friend but i think in the long run the friendship would mean more to me than gtoing out with someone like that. Besides it is kinda academic at the moment anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    I thought that's a classic rejection line too? :confused:
    Ah..the line i got was "you're one of the nicest guys i've ever met....too nice for me"

G

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid that It was I who was on the recieving end. I must admit it made me feel uncomfortable around this guy and I have sort of frozen him out and have started noticing exactly how creepy he really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Im afraid that It was I who was on the recieving end. I must admit it made me feel uncomfortable around this guy and I have sort of frozen him out and have started noticing exactly how creepy he really is.
    Hmmmm.....he's not stalking you is he??

G

i once confessed that i liked one of my male friends, but i didn't confess to him but to another friend. Stupidly i told the girl who had been best mates with him for well, forever. She told him on the bus. We still get on alright though. Another example is that i was really good friends with my current boyfriend of 3 years before we got together..i was actually with someone else when he said he like me..eventually we got together though..however i think i was only friends with him in the first place because i liked him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Hmmmm.....he's not stalking you is he??

G
    Well if its not stalking its awefully close. I think he's getting the hint. I dont want it to have to get to the stage where the bf has to sort it out.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.