The Student Room Group

Trump state visit would 'embarrass the Queen'

I should declare upfront that I oppose a state visit by Trump. A state visit is a unique privilege only conferred on a sitting president twice since 1952; Trump should get by with an ordinary visit.

Having said that, the comments by Labour MP Paul Flynn saying he should not come as it will 'embarrass the Queen' are idiotic. The Queen will do what she's bloody-well told, and if we tell her to glad hand dictators like the King of Saudi Arabia or Emperor Hirohito, she will do so because it's government policy and it is for the government of the day to decide on foreign policy. The Queen has no foreign policy 'shame', as such; she's met enough killers and autocrats during her reign because it was in the national interest, and she will continue to do so. Her 'embarrassment' is the worst possible reason for the trip not to go ahead.

Secondly, for Paul Flynn to point the finger at someone else for racism is utterly laughable. This is a man who said the newly-appointed UK ambassador to Israel, Matthew Gould, was suspect because he's Jewish and would have 'Jewish loyalties' (in other words, the old trope about Jews being a fifth column) rather than this highly-dedicated and respected British civil servant being loyal to his own country.

Trump shouldn't get a state visit, but if the man heading the opposition on this point is Paul Flynn, it's a very bad look indeed.
I don't see why it would more embarrassing than the visits she's received from heads of state with terrible human rights records

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't embarrassing at all. It is a visit from the POTUS, regardless of who holds the position.
I dont know how you left and rightys have the time or effort to wind each other up.

Imo May shouldnt have offered it so soon as it breaks protocol and Trump should have been more established. three years in would have been better when things were settled. It is a gamble for May, but she needs the trade deal.

Queenie has to play along and will do her duty because he is POTUS and the US is probably or greatest ally. His politics are less relevant. once may offered it would be an insult to withdraw the offer.

Queenie is not in good health, so it may not go ahead until she is better or some other Royal may have to stand in. Expect to see protests. More time passes the smaller they would become.
no-queen-elizabeth-did-not-say-she-can-legally-ki-2-12622-1485955587-5_dblbig.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. The Queen can handle herself.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
no-queen-elizabeth-did-not-say-she-can-legally-ki-2-12622-1485955587-5_dblbig.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. The Queen can handle herself.

Another quality story from The Daily Mash.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/legally-i-can-kill-him-queen-confirms-20170131121313

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending