That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am taking History, Biology, Philosophy and Economics, with the he hopes of studying Law or History + Politics at at top uni. However, I would like to study Gvt + Politcs but can't seem to get a good answer on whether it is a good a level or not, well, I mean A1 or facilitating. I definetly want to do History, and I'm a fan of Philosophy, but if that isn't considered good then I may be inclined to drop it. Help?
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a good a level. Don't listen to people who say it isn't. It is true that some a levels aren't regarded as highly as others, but government and politics isn't one of those a levels. Typically they are: sociology (although its debatable), media, film, weaker art subjects, law, accounting, finance.
Government and politics isn't a facilitating subject. But a facilitating subject doesn't mean a 'hard' subject, it means that it forms the basis of other subjects. So for example History is a facilitating subject of law and politics. Do you see? So don't worry about not doing facilitating subjects, as politics and philosophy are two highly regarded subjects that are not facilitating.
I want to study History and Politics, I chose History, English Literature, Philosophy and Politics. These are perfect subjects for history and politics or law, because they are humanities and basically the foundations of law. So, yes while you may not be taking 'Chemistry, Maths, French and English Lit', the subjects you choose should be ones you enjoy and related to your chosen university course. Cambridge states that Government and Politics is a valuable a level for someone hoping to study the humanities. Plus, if you're wanting to study politics, having that basis of knowledge will be really helpful and will aid you with your PS. Unlike subjects like law, politics does prepare you for politics at University. It teaches you about the British Constitution etc.
FrenchNerd2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a mate who got into Cambridge with Media Studies as their third A level (then again, he applied for MML which isn't the most competitive of courses). Cambridge take so many factors into consideration that you won't necessarily let your application down by taking Politics - especially if you are applying for History and Politics. If you get a good grade in it, it should be fine - so in other words, pick subjects you'll enjoy because they will guarantee you to reach your potential.
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Politics is considered an A-level of medium difficulty (not facilitating, not a mickey mouse subject), but it is very useful if you want to study politics.

The A-levels you chose are good as well, though.
jackadams422
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Politics and philosophy are both solid a levels. If you're interested in politics/law at uni then both are relevant, but you might find politics more practical when starting your undergrad studies. Whichever you end up studying at uni both will have elements of philosophy. You should also remember A level politics is naturally rooted in philosophy
maroumarou
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History and politics is a good alevel, especially considering the course you may want to do at uni. Top universities wouldn't offer it if they didn't deem it a worthwhile subject, so they're likely feel the same about the alevel
username2848230
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Politics is a great broad, solid subject for applying to a humanities/social science course. I've got 4 RG offers including one from Cambridge for History and I'm doing Politics - it didn't discredit my applications.
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
Politics is a great broad, solid subject for applying to a humanities/social science course. I've got 4 RG offers including one from Cambridge for History and I'm doing Politics - it didn't discredit my applications.
What else do you do
username2848230
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blancosdos)
What else do you do
History and English
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
History and English
English Lit, or English Lang and Lit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (133)
28.42%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.46%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.87%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.62%
No - I live at home during term anyway (134)
28.63%

Watched Threads