Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

En-Suite Question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I understand that en-suite means you will get your own shower, but do you get your own toilet as well?

And also will you need to clean your own room? i.e. vacumming, windows etc? Or is there someone that does if for you? The later would be nice

ReputationRep:
    it usually means you get a shower and toilet. And I doubt you'll get any cleaning done for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobytoby)
    I understand that en-suite means you will get your own shower, but do you get your own toilet as well?

And also will you need to clean your own room? i.e. vacumming, windows etc? Or is there someone that does if for you? The later would be nice
    ensuite is usually a shower, toliet and sink...
    it probably depends on the university about the cleaning part....

RUthie xx

ReputationRep:
    In my first year in halls we got a cleaner once a week, but if your room is messy they don't move stuff they'll hover around things

ReputationRep:
    In my hall, the cleaners didn't clean our rooms. They just emptied the bins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    In my hall, the cleaners didn't clean our rooms. They just emptied the bins.
    good cleaners then :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    good cleaners then :d
    They cleaned other parts of the hall too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd want a cleaner in my room anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I don't think I'd want a cleaner in my room anyway
    why not, its great having a cleaner burst in on you in the morning! Just make sure you don't say "I'm coming" cos they heard it as "come in" and came in wilst i was getting dressed! still they did a good job.

ReputationRep:
    if there are no cleaners, does that mean when you get your room in september or october, you will have to clean up after from the person who had the room before?

ReputationRep:
    if there are no cleaners, does that mean when you get your room in september or october, you will have to clean up after from the person who had the room before?
    Oh dear, probably... But I would have thought your room would be in a reasonable condition before you moved in (the former occupants should have been told to do something about it anyway!).

Under a cuboard in one of the UCL rooms were very mouldy plates and cups...and the light in the bathroom never worked.

ReputationRep:
    nah they tend to hire people to clean before you move in don't worry about it, just write down EVERYTHING that you find is wrong with the flat on their check list no matter how small then you can say it was there when you got there and you won't have to pay when you leave

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what is cleaned will depend on your uni. At essex the shared living areas and corridors were cleaned once a day (except for weekends). If you had an ensuite room you had your bathroom cleaned once a week though the cleaners never come in the rest of your room. If you don't have ensuite they never come in your room at all.

Ring up your uni and ask if you really want to find out. Also remember your room willl probably be inspected once a term or so so do try to keep it sort of inhabitable.

ReputationRep:
    I think id rahter clean my room myself. But that probably becuase I dont like other people in my room unless they are my mates etc... Anyway, decorating somewhere new would be fun, I mean, you probably wouldnt need a whole big vacume cleaner either, you could get by with a little dustbuster.

ReputationRep:

Yes to all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    I think id rahter clean my room myself. But that probably becuase I dont like other people in my room unless they are my mates etc... Anyway, decorating somewhere new would be fun, I mean, you probably wouldnt need a whole big vacume cleaner either, you could get by with a little dustbuster.
    If you are expected to clean they usually provide a vacuum to be borrowed.

ReputationRep:
    We had bins emptied everyday, kitchen cleaned twice a week and bathroom cleaned once a week. You won't have to clean your bathroom when you get there, it will already be done.

It was good having our bathroom cleaned for us, but annoying having someone come into your room early every wednesday morning. Probably would have preferred to do it myself..

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends hated having his bathroom cleaned. It was always really messy in there (don't ask) and he got embarrassed whenever the cleaners came and ended up hiding in the library every Wednesday morning for the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    why not, its great having a cleaner burst in on you in the morning! Just make sure you don't say "I'm coming" cos they heard it as "come in" and came in wilst i was getting dressed! still they did a good job.
    Mine walked in on me getting dressed as well! Was well weird - I had a separate bedroom and living room, and was getting dressed in my bedroom one morning, heard them come in to empty the bin (which is all they do) and so just carried on getting dressed, then one of them randomly decided to wander into my bedroom, as I was there in my underwear! :eek:

So odd, they had no reason to be in there, and she just said "oh sorry, I didn't realise you were here!" and left. :confused:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.