AnanyaaJain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My piano exam is falling on the same day as my DofE silver expedition and I don't know what to do. This is the last opportunity to do my piano exam because the pieces have changed and my 2015-2016 pieces are only allowed until the end of exam period A which ends this spring. I suppose I could skip straight to Grade 7 next year
My DofE expedition is just a practice but I have to take part in it to qualify. I asked school if I could take part in the first 2 days only but I have to be there for the whole thing. The teacher gave me a few options:
- I can take part in an open expedition ( I'm not free for any of the dates )
- Do my DofE next year
- Don't do it at all and skip straight to Gold
I am so confused. Help! Which one should I choose? Which one would be better for university applications?
jonnypdot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You only get one shot, so make it count you might never get this moment again...
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do the piano exam m8
rhiannamoore
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there anyway you could ask the people doing the exam if its possible to change the date?
AnanyaaJain
Rep:
?
(Original post by rhiannamoore)
Is there anyway you could ask the people doing the exam if its possible to change the date?
No they won't change it
rhiannamoore
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a massive dilemma then..... How long have you been working on your piano grade?
AnanyaaJain
Rep:
?
(Original post by rhiannamoore)
That's a massive dilemma then..... How long have you been working on your piano grade?
Almost a year?
rhiannamoore
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I would skip the piano exam, because it's not grade 8 or anything, is it? You know you can play the pieces, you don't need the paper to say you've done it. I have skipped loads of grades on viola, and nothing bad has come of that.........
username1893177
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnanyaaJain)
My piano exam is falling on the same day as my DofE silver expedition and I don't know what to do. This is the last opportunity to do my piano exam because the pieces have changed and my 2015-2016 pieces are only allowed until the end of exam period A which ends this spring. I suppose I could skip straight to Grade 7 next year
My DofE expedition is just a practice but I have to take part in it to qualify. I asked school if I could take part in the first 2 days only but I have to be there for the whole thing. The teacher gave me a few options:
- I can take part in an open expedition ( I'm not free for any of the dates )
- Do my DofE next year
- Don't do it at all and skip straight to Gold
I am so confused. Help! Which one should I choose? Which one would be better for university applications?
D*mn, that's a tricky situation

My gut instinct would be go for the piano exam. I know how much effort music exams take, and you deserve to have something to show for that.

I'd also say that, in my experience, Grade 6 Piano counts more than Silver DofE when applying to uni (although neither counts too much, extra curriculas related to your subject and stuff like the EPQ count a *lot* more) - lots of people go DofE up to Silver, so Gold is the only one that really stands out.

But, if you've already completed all the sections for silver DofE and it's just the expeditions to go, I'm not sure. It's a shame you aren't free for any of the "open" expeditions. Could you contact your local scout (or guide) groups and see if they're running an expedition soon? It might be worth joining just to get the DofE done (plus scouts is ace ) Alternatively if your school does Gold, see if you can go on part of their practise expedition - what one of my friends did.
Science_Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say do the exam. Have you tried looking on the DofE website for open expeditions as they usually have quite a few?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.84%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (100)
32.26%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.71%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.48%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.97%

Watched Threads