dh89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,
3rd year London uni medic here. I was wondering what question banks do people use and if they're any good?
Not sure if I want to spend money on that, or should I just stick to what's free online and use MCQ books in the library?
I hear people say Passmedicine is affordable and just what you need for finals, but looking at their website it seems a little basic...
Any advice?
dh89
Rep:
?
OK, was expecting some quick replies tbh, hahah
But in the mean time I've done my homework, signed up for some trials and sharing my findings below:

PasTest - 49 pounds for 12 months - looks very professional - they also have OSCE videos, SJT and PSA prep included in the bundle
There's a 48 hour free trial, so do check them out. You can get 15% discount by email from PasTest themselves through "What the Bleep" blog: (it says it's for MRCP prep only but it works for medical students as well)

***Also. in the 1st and 2nd year of medschool, so the basic science years, you could get away with using PasTest FREE full subscription to USMLE questionbank, I guess PasTest want to move into lucrative USMLE market, and they're testing their questionbank by giving away free 12-month subscriptions.

OnExamination - well trusted, but expensive? - I don't really like the website, but hey it's from BMJ so it must be good. They also have a free trial. and I found a 20% discount code ANSWER20

PassMedicine - no discount codes but a 12 month subscription to their question bank plus SJT questions is just 25 pounds. Also this is the one many friends recommended to me.

(oh and again, they have a free USMLE questionbank (www.USMLEstat.com) which might serve those doing basis science years )

Synap - launched recently, seems like they just have Oxford Handbook questions on it. Still, impressive, as 3000 questions based on 7 Oxford Handbooks, including SJT questions.

Right, so it looks like I'm gonna do the trials and check out the free USMLE ones for now. Let me know your thoughts
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I avoided this thread as I didn't think I'd be of much help, not being from a London uni, but I may as well offer my thoughts.

I always recommend Passmedicine to medics from my medical school because their questions are a good representation of our exams, and are therefore a good way to revise. I have also found Passmedicine really good in helping me learn NICE Guidelines for common conditions without staring at a textbook for hours. Not only is this helpful for exams, it's also really useful on placement where you mainly see (and are quizzed on) investigations/management plans on common diseases. I definitely think Passmedicine is the best compared to the rest (I've tried all but Synap).

Having said that, I don't know what your exams are like. They could be completely different to the questions asked on Passmedicine, in which case I agree, it probably won't be as useful. For example, I've found that Onexamination tends to concentrate more on the pathology and physiology behind conditions rather than the management, and at times focuses on more rare diseases than the common ones - if your third year exams place more emphasis on this sort of stuff, then I guess Onexamination would be most useful.

I personally did not find PasTest useful at all - I thought their questions were very generic to the point that I learnt very little, and while their OSCE videos were good, there are a lot of fantastic OSCE videos available online and on Youtube for free.

Would be interested to hear what Synap is like though.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't tried other question banks, but all I will say is that everyone at my med school (Brum) seems to use passmedicine, so I just use that
dh89
Rep:
?
Well, Synap is a cool platform because it also let's you create your own quizzes that can be shared. Plus the content is from Oxford Handbooks, but actually - I think it's taken directly from their Assess and Progress series, so basically, if you go to your library, you'll have the same content free... So not sure if it's worth it. Unless you are not that keen on using books, and would rather do it on PC or mobile?
Anyways, got a referral code for 20% if anyone wants
BakedBeanz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I third passmedicine- the revision guide they have alone is amazing, my Optho and ENT notes are literally just copied and pasted from PM revision guide & it reflects my uni's exam style too. I find pastest questions a bit too academic for clinic years. Not tried onexamination but it's quite pricey.

Revise doctor is another free qbank, I really like it
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in favour of actually learning content the old fashioned way.

Even for the MRCP I find question banks don't really reflect the questions asked (too much focus on small detail, not enough on broad concepts), so what it's like when med school exams can vary so much I have no idea.
johnr321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found the geeky medics question bank quite useful, particularly considering it’s free. I think there’s over 2000 questions now, but they’re not all medical finals related https://geekyquiz.com
Last edited by johnr321; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.94%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.99%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (41)
23.16%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.47%
No - I live at home during term anyway (45)
25.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed