The Student Room Group

Reaching French Fluency

Hi,

I'm currently studying A2 Level French and have a fairly good level of French. I'm predicted an A* for the A Level and cope fairly well with the exams etc. However I was just wondering what the best way would be to take this level to full fluency. I'm not studying languages at university, but I'm keen to carry on my French and really be able to speak it absolutely fluency. I was thinking of, perhaps, working towards the C1 exam. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Have one to one lessons with a native speaker. Almost certainly some sort of French Society at Uni you can join. Read as much as you can in the language. Holiday and, in due course, work for a time in France. Good luck.
Original post by rampallian
Hi,

I'm currently studying A2 Level French and have a fairly good level of French. I'm predicted an A* for the A Level and cope fairly well with the exams etc. However I was just wondering what the best way would be to take this level to full fluency. I'm not studying languages at university, but I'm keen to carry on my French and really be able to speak it absolutely fluency. I was thinking of, perhaps, working towards the C1 exam. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks.

Just keep practising and using the language as much as you can. Working towards C1 is a great idea to take your fluency further - if you get an A*, then you should be a solid B2.

Fluency means lots of different things - you could be 'fluent' conversationally, but stuck at A2 if you needed to give a technical presentation using unfamiliar language, for instance. There's no one definition of fluency. But if you mean by it a general facility with the language so you easily and effortless interact with native speakers, then there's no real substitute for using the language at every opportunity. If you don't go to France or a french-speaking country often, then read as much of a variety of French as you can: 'Le Monde, Le Figaro, L'Obs and L'Express, Le Monde Diplomatique are very good for current affairs, for instance. As for listening, you can easily stream France Culture/Inter - have you tried listening to something like La Grande Table, les nouvelles vagues...?

Quick Reply