I only have 3 choices for my GCSEs I dont know what to pick???? Watch

BledionV
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Turns out the government had changed the limit of the amount of overall subjects we do in year 10 and year 11 from 10 to 8, meaning we would only have 2 choices. My school however managed to get 9 overall subjects and 3 choices. Originally I was going to get Triple science history geography and french, but now that's changed to only 3 I am thinking triple science and french but I don't know what i should pick for my 3rd. Which one would be best? Geography or History?
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pick any subject GCSE choices dont matter at all or affect you, its Just A Level choices that do, if your planning on picking a subject on A Level thats avaliable to choose for GCSE thoguh Id recommend choosing that for one of your options and other subjects that can link to it.
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Popsiclez)
Pick any subject GCSE choices dont matter at all or affect you, its Just A Level choices that do, if your planning on picking a subject on A Level thats avaliable to choose for GCSE thoguh Id recommend choosing that for one of your options and other subjects that can link to it.
For A level am thinking of doing maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. And plus i want to get an EBAC so i need to pick a humanities and a language and i dont know which humanities i should pick, geogrpahy or history? ive been told that geography is much more easier as you dont have to memories as much but i dont know which has more credit as in if i wanted to apply for a unviersity what would they prefer, geo or history?
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BledionV)
For A level am thinking of doing maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. And plus i want to get an EBAC so i need to pick a humanities and a language and i dont know which humanities i should pick, geogrpahy or history? ive been told that geography is much more easier as you dont have to memories as much but i dont know which has more credit as in if i wanted to apply for a unviersity what would they prefer, geo or history?
Unis literally don't care they will literally just be looking at your A Levels, the only time they would look at GCSEs is if spaces are tight and you clash with another applicant or applying for a competitive course like Medicine, even so they rarely do as Post 16 examinations tend to be a much more accurate measurement of someone. Pick whichever you like
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Universities will not care what GCSEs you did, particularly if you're applying for a science course they will not be at all interested in your humanities GCSEs. So just pick whichever one you enjoy the most/ find easier - I'd recommend Geography as it's a little more science-y (physical geography) so possibly more suited to your skills
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Universities will not care what GCSEs you did, particularly if you're applying for a science course they will not be at all interested in your humanities GCSEs. So just pick whichever one you enjoy the most/ find easier - I'd recommend Geography as it's a little more science-y (physical geography) so possibly more suited to your skills
Yeah its just that nowadyas the top 20 universities dont accpet people that dont have an EBAC and i was just thinking that maybe history would be credited more than geography but thank you
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Popsiclez)
Unis literally don't care they will literally just be looking at your A Levels, the only time they would look at GCSEs is if spaces are tight and you clash with another applicant or applying for a competitive course like Medicine, even so they rarely do as Post 16 examinations tend to be a much more accurate measurement of someone. Pick whichever you like
Yeah its just that nowadyas the top 20 universities dont accpet people that dont have an EBAC and i was just thinking that maybe history would be credited more than geography but thank you
guilherme_is_gay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do Geography, I love that damn subject.
stationeryaddict
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in year 11 and I'm doing edexcel GCSE Geography. Personally I quite like it because I'm interested in the environmental geography and aside from coursework and one of the exam papers, the biggest questions are six markers . I'm not that great at essay writing so I feel like geography was better for me. I'd say do what you think you'd enjoy and what you would be better at; I regret one of my options which was business I only chose it because I thought it would be useful, I didn't really know what to pick at the time . You'd probably be fine with either if youre planning on doing the a levels you are interested in, but Geography does tie in with some of the sciences a bit . You'll be fine either way
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by guilherme_is_gay)
Do Geography, I love that damn subject.
thank you lol
guilherme_is_gay
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thank you lol
I'm doing a PhD in finance btw, I love the stock market even more. But if I had to pick my favourite subject (other than finance), geography would be it.
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by stationeryaddict)
I'm in year 11 and I'm doing edexcel GCSE Geography. Personally I quite like it because I'm interested in the environmental geography and aside from coursework and one of the exam papers, the biggest questions are six markers . I'm not that great at essay writing so I feel like geography was better for me. I'd say do what you think you'd enjoy and what you would be better at; I regret one of my options which was business I only chose it because I thought it would be useful, I didn't really know what to pick at the time . You'd probably be fine with either if youre planning on doing the a levels you are interested in, but Geography does tie in with some of the sciences a bit . You'll be fine either way
Thank you very much, the geogrpahy course in my school is also edexcel and my option are coming up in 7th march and am really leaning towards geography
BledionV
Rep:
?
I'm doing a PhD in finance btw, I love the stock market even more. But if I had to pick my favourite subject (other than finance), geography would be it.
oooh what kind of job are you hoping for? im quite interested in financial analyst for corporate companies
guilherme_is_gay
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oooh what kind of job are you hoping for? im quite interested in financial analyst for corporate companies
I want to teach finance, you know, the real portfolio theory. Where we spend hours just analysing companies and figuring out how to beat the market.

I'm a part time investor myself, I have close to £30,000 in the stock market. I pick my own stocks, I analyse companies and markets. I watch the european open daily and the US open at our 2:30 pm (GMT).

A financial analyst would do similar things, he would have to be able to read income statements and balance sheets and evaluate companies. As an investor I use other metrics as well, P/B ratio, PEG ratio, P/E ratio, dividend cover, EPS etc
BledionV
Rep:
?
I want to teach finance, you know, the real portfolio theory. Where we spend hours just analysing companies and figuring out how to beat the market.

I'm a part time investor myself, I have close to £30,000 in the stock market. I pick my own stocks, I analyse companies and markets. I watch the european open daily and the US open at our 2:30 pm (GMT).

A financial analyst would do similar things, he would have to be able to read income statements and balance sheets and evaluate companies. As an investor I use other metrics as well, P/B ratio, PEG ratio, P/E ratio, dividend cover, EPS etc
Damn that seems like a lot to do is it stressful?
stationeryaddict
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you very much, the geogrpahy course in my school is also edexcel and my option are coming up in 7th march and am really leaning towards geography
That's all right if you do start geography and find that it's not your thing , you can always change in the first few weeks of starting , I know a few of my friends changed their options and they're glad they did so don't worry about your choices now being the be all and end all
BledionV
Rep:
?
(Original post by stationeryaddict)
That's all right if you do start geography and find that it's not your thing , you can always change in the first few weeks of starting , I know a few of my friends changed their options and they're glad they did so don't worry about your choices now being the be all and end all
Thanks am not stressing as much now
guilherme_is_gay
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn that seems like a lot to do is it stressful?
It's stressful when markets are in free fall, when I can see a bottom I am fine, but when stuff is falling without a bottom it's hard to think straight. You are watching your own money getting shreaded in seconds.

Though these moments of panic are the best buying opportunities you will find. Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful.....are the words of warren buffett. When greed overtakes the market, it causes bubbles and excessively high P/E ratios. Companies can't deliver and the bubble pops and then enters mass panic selling.

The markets run on fear and greed in the short term, mainly because of traders (these are what we call speculators), they don't care about businesses, they want to make a few hundred quid in the 10-15 minutes they are in a trade. We the investors hate them in a way, because they cause all this mayhem, but they do contribute to the efficiency of the market and price discovery. So that prices quickly adjust to new information and there are enough buyers and sellers to keep the bid-ask spread tight.

The day after brexit is the worst I have seen, 8% drop on the FTSE 100, some banks down 30% on the open. Broker sites down, extreme volatility and volume. ***** hit the fan basically. But markets recover always, it's all about temperament and holding tight. Finance needs temperament, not IQ.
midnightmonkey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in year 10 and do both, personally much prefer history but if you prefer geography then 100% go for that!

Not going to lie I wish we'd only been able to take three subjects, I'm stuck with one that I hate because I had to take four
BledionV
Rep:
?
It's stressful when markets are in free fall, when I can see a bottom I am fine, but when stuff is falling without a bottom it's hard to think straight. You are watching your own money getting shreaded in seconds.

Though these moments of panic are the best buying opportunities you will find. Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful.....are the words of warren buffett. When greed overtakes the market, it causes bubbles and excessively high P/E ratios. Companies can't deliver and the bubble pops and then enters mass panic selling.

The markets run on fear and greed in the short term, mainly because of traders (these are what we call speculators), they don't care about businesses, they want to make a few hundred quid in the 10-15 minutes they are in a trade. We the investors hate them in a way, because they cause all this mayhem, but they do contribute to the efficiency of the market and price discovery. So that prices quickly adjust to new information and there are enough buyers and sellers to keep the bid-ask spread tight

The day after brexit is the worst I have seen, 8% drop on the FTSE 100, some banks down 30% on the open. Broker sites down, extreme volatility and volume. ***** hit the fan basically. But markets recover always, it's all about temperament and holding tight. Finance needs temperament, not IQ.
Do you end up taking lots of risks then? Cause i dont think i can ever handle so much stress i feel like ill just curl up in a ball somewhere in the corner
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads