The Student Room Group

Is Dentistry BTEC Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

do you trolls have nothing better to do?

BTEC Medicine

pfft
Nah, Dentistry is just as hard despite the general sense of ignorance toward Dentistry from some in the medic bubble.
Biomedical sciences is probably the BTEC Medicine
Original post by spikyphoenix
Not the same grade requirements, and its less competitive to get into than medicine.
I'm not downplaying dentistry, I think its great, defo competitive and fulfills an important purpose in healthcare. It has its own complexities and I respect that. But it does not have the same grade requirements as medicine, and isn't as competitive as medicine.

I disagree. I think dentistry is just as competitive. There are far less dental schools than medicine and as well as that, they accept less people and hence give out less offers. For example for some universities, they have about 200 places for medicine whereas for dentistry about 70 places. As well as that, you have to aim for the top grades to even have a chance of applying
Original post by student0299
I disagree. I think dentistry is just as competitive. There are far less dental schools than medicine and as well as that, they accept less people and hence give out less offers. For example for some universities, they have about 200 places for medicine whereas for dentistry about 70 places. As well as that, you have to aim for the top grades to even have a chance of applying

I'm an international
I disagree
There are 400 places IN TOTAL for medicine for internationals out of all the med schools.
Also you don't have interview stages for dentistry schools. It is only merit that counts, not character, empathy, communication etc.
I'm an international
I disagree
There are 400 places IN TOTAL for medicine for internationals out of all the med schools.
Also you don't have interview stages for dentistry schools. It is only merit that counts, not character, empathy, communication etc.

You're trolling right?
Original post by helpmeplease11
Biomedical sciences is probably the BTEC Medicine

Except for the part where it totally isn't.
I'm an international
I disagree

Mate, you do have interviews for dentistry (can't get an offer without one). Dentistry has even less places for international students (a lot less, something like 10 per school (or even less, i believe).
Original post by 123chem
Mate, you do have interviews for dentistry (can't get an offer without one). Dentistry has even less places for international students (a lot less, something like 10 per school (or even less, i believe).

Yea I'm not believing you.
Med schools in the UK have about 10 places for international students.
Yea I'm not believing you.
Med schools in the UK have about 10 places for international students.

Lol. Won't bother replying properly to a troll who can't be bothered to look up.
Original post by Democracy
Except for the part where it totally isn't.

Except for the part where it totally is. Almost every medicine backup is BioMed
Almost every medicine backup is BioMed

So what if it is? What's that got to do with being a "BTEC"? You're linking two unrelated points.

The whole notion of this moronic thread is that "BTEC medicine" means "medicine lite" or "easy medicine" (obviously you have to be the sort of person who looks down on BTECs in the first place). But neither dentistry nor biomedical sciences are "medicine lite" and they have never tried to be. The premise of this thread is faulty as is everything that has followed. Debate over.

This entire thread is just typical TSR: snobby, anti-intellectual, and full of irrelevancies.
So what if it is? What's that got to do with being a "BTEC"? You're linking two unrelated points.

The whole notion of this moronic thread is that "BTEC medicine" means "medicine lite" or "easy medicine" (obviously you have to be the sort of person who looks down on BTECs in the first place). But neither dentistry nor biomedical sciences are "medicine lite" and they have never tried to be. The premise of this thread is faulty as is everything that has followed. Debate over.

This entire thread is just typical TSR: snobby, anti-intellectual, and full of irrelevancies.

Sorry if I got you worked up, but my friends and I have always taken the piss out of biomed, an inside joke of sorts. As this thread goes, dentistry is not a BTEC medicine, in ways it is harder and at times more competitive

I have always seen BTECs as a wannabe, so a BTEC messi, is someone who thinks he is messi, but is not in reality.
Sorry if I got you worked up, but my friends and I have always taken the piss out of biomed, an inside joke of sorts. As this thread goes, dentistry is not a BTEC medicine, in ways it is harder and at times more competitive

With that BS quality of argument you couldn't get your girlfriend worked up let alone me, so idk who you're apologising to.

Also, that doesn't surprise me because you're not coming off as terribly bright.
With that BS quality of argument you couldn't get your girlfriend worked up let alone me, so idk who you're apologising to.

Also, that doesn't surprise me because you're not coming off as terribly bright.

I do not know whether you have some personal issues that make you so cold, clearly this thread is a joke, and I inserted my opinion, which has been influenced by banter between a few friends, (I know what right! God it must be illegal to do such a thing). My friend wants to apply for Biomed, and he said it cause he thinks becoming a doctor is too long and hard. So from then on as a JOKE we call him BTEC Medicine. It is just a joke, but then again looking at how seriously you take this thread, I am not surprised that you failed to spot. Also bringing up intelligence, if you really want to insult someone plan it out a bit better. You know nothing about me, and this thread is a joke, so if some one comes across as not so "terribly bright", surely you are the person that knows it all.
I do not know whether you have some personal issues that make you so cold, clearly this thread is a joke, and I inserted my opinion, which has been influenced by banter between a few friends, (I know what right! God it must be illegal to do such a thing). My friend wants to apply for Biomed, and he said it cause he thinks becoming a doctor is too long and hard. So from then on as a JOKE we call him BTEC Medicine. It is just a joke, but then again looking at how seriously you take this thread, I am not surprised that you failed to spot. Also bringing up intelligence, if you really want to insult someone plan it out a bit better. You know nothing about me, and this thread is a joke, so if some one comes across as not so "terribly bright", surely you are the person that knows it all.

If this was all joking around, your reply to me when I said "except for the part where it totally isn't", should have been "lol I'm not serious", rather than trying to back up what you're saying by going on about most medics having biomed as a back up.

Either you actually believe in what you're saying, or it's all a joke. You can't have it both ways though.
(obviously you have to be the sort of person who looks down on BTECs in the first place)

So by your words, Universities that don't see BTECs as proper qualification, also look down on them. I know people who do BTECs, and I have no problem with them, but they themselves take the piss out of BTECs. It just has a reputation amongst young people, not that you would know about it. Honestly I have no problem with what you think of BTECs, but don't make assumptions about me as a person
Just as hard.
If this was all joking around, your reply to me when I said "except for the part where it totally isn't", should have been "lol I'm not serious", rather than trying to back up what you're saying by going on about most medics having biomed as a back up.

Either you actually believe in what you're saying, or it's all a joke. You can't have it both ways though.

I copied your response and edited, as I found it strange that you would think a blunt statement like that would explain what you think of Biomedical sciences. Many people have told me that their opinion of Biomed ,I dont wish to get into an argument as to who is wrong or right. This was the first time that I inserted what I have experienced, and clearly I will never again, if people get this worked up over it. You really struggle with this concept of banter to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest