The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bouilhet
It's not called "uni" it's called "college" get it right, ****ing Brits.

—American

Just remember whose language you're speaking...
(edited 7 years ago)
My university has University in its name and it is located in the United States. :confused:
Reply 3
cos us dumb brit folk can only do four or less of em abcs
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
My university has University in its name and it is located in the United States. :confused:

I'm not talking about that. Of course one goes to a university.

I'm referring to the word in the context of: "I go to uni" it should be "I go to college" or "I go to a university" not simply "uni."
Americans use the Term uni too

fail troll
Some of our unis are composed of colleges, so it would be very strange of us to use the word college instead.

Also:

Original post by Jack Neill
Just remember who's language you're speaking...
Reply 7
Just remember who's language you're speaking...

whose*
Reply 8
Original post by Kravence
Americans use the Term uni too

fail troll

I don't know what part of America you've been to.
It's not called "uni" it's called "college" get it right, ****ing Brits.

—American

Since secondary education ends at 16, and we have colleges for 16-18, we need a different word for higher education institutions - university!
Why do Americans say "chips", instead of "crisps"? We call chips, fries, you little ***** lol
Original post by IFLICHBA
whose*

Haha soz and cheers
Reply 12
Original post by CatusStarbright
Since secondary education ends at 16, and we have colleges for 16-18, we need a different word for higher education institutions - university!

What loons. Why not just call it an intermediate/middle school?
Actually the correct term is "University", even in the grand and wonderful United States Of America, the term is "University" eg University of Califoria, Berkeley etc. "University" is also used across the world, the USA is the only country which uses the word "college". And in fact the word "college" is a colloquial term in the US used to reference the campus as a whole, because each University has separate colleges. For example, Cambridge has Christ College here in the UK. So us ****ing Brits are actually correct, and as was stated earlier, you are speaking our language, it's called "English", coined from the country "England", not "American". But if you would like to make your own language, by all means do so.

---- A Brit.
Reply 14
Haha soz and cheers

You ironically just shamed your own country by writing "who's"
Reply 15
Original post by Dalia.aldu
Actually the correct term is "University", even in the grand and wonderful United States Of America, the term is "University" eg University of Califoria, Berkeley etc. "University" is also used across the world, the USA is the only country which uses the word "college". And in fact the word "college" is a colloquial term in the US used to reference the campus as a whole, because each University has separate colleges. For example, Cambridge has Christ College here in the UK. So us ****ing Brits are actually correct, and as was stated earlier, you are speaking our language, it's called "English", coined from the country "England", not "American". But if you would like to make your own language, by all means do so.

---- A Brit.

I specified in another comment that I'm not talking about the word university, I'm talking about the usage of the word "uni" in the context of "I go to uni." Here, we say, "I go to college."
You ironically just shamed your own country by writing "who's"

well at least we don't have as much shame as your country...
Reply 17
well at least we don't have as much shame as your country...

You don't have to get political about it, we're just talking language.
You don't have to get political about it, we're just talking language.

yeah i know i realised that was a bit irrelevant haha
What loons. Why not just call it an intermediate/middle school?

You're a self-proclaimed American that dislikes the chiefly British/Aussie word 'uni', yet you use the chiefly British word loon? Riiiiiight.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest