Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently, for my A-Level opinions I have down:
Biology
Chemistry
English Literature
French

I, however, am unhappy with my decision to take French so i'm going to go to my careers teacher to change this. However, I don't know what to change it to...
I've narrowed my options down to sociology, religion and politics. Can someone maybe give me some advice- if you're doing/ have done the subjects i'm thinking about and possibly give me a bit of an insight or how you've found it? I get drawn to sociology because I believe i'd find it interesting and overall my school's marks are normally very good, this is the same with religion. Politics results are slightly worse, however I'm very interested in Politics and current affairs.

I don't really think i'm looking for something to fit with my other subjects as such. However, are any of these subjects more looked down upon or respected more for example?
BrainyBengali
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What were you thinking of going into? (Sorry, haven't done any of those mentioned, but have had friend's experiences during their last yr and a half).
Is religion an A-level subject on it's own? I did 'Philosophy & Ethics' (originally Religious Studies) for GCSE - didn't know religion was one.

Depends however on whether this 4th choice is likely to be the one you drop for A2 - the other 3 are all 'facilitating subjects (Google it; basically subjects highly valued for their difficulty by Top Unis) so they would definitely be fine to take to A2 if you think you could handle them.

One word of warning though: literally everyone says that Bio is the subject with the most content. Full. Stop. A lot of it is memorising, while in Chemistry, a lot of people found AS relatively manageable, but once A2 started, the level of question difficulty and the way they were asked was very very hard, one even jokingly calling it 'degree-level type question' (doubt it, since so many complain of the jump from A-level to Uni, same as GCSE to A-level). Anyway, if you are good at memorising, thinking logically, doing practical work, etc then go for the sciences - but they'll mainly help for science related degrees.

French is also quite quite hard - it's Advanced-Level for a reason. Not easy to get mark in anymore, like in GCSE with a few tenses and preparation for writing and speaking tests. Our year had only a few in the French class, but each found it hard too. Tbh, every A-level is difficult, and rightly so. You do have to prove your worth to the Unis - I have no idea how so many people are getting straight A's all over the country and from abroad to come to our competitive London/ Russel Group Unis ...

Gd luck on choosing . Remember - don't be shy to ask people in the years above - they are the best at telling you honestly what it's like, not when the teacher's will just big-up their subjects and undermine the other departments Banta
Also, (you've heard this before, but) don't choose subjects based on friends taking certain subjects, or if there's a good/'bad' teacher - they mix up, leave and join all the time. It's frustrating if you're unlucky enough not to be able to get used to one teacher, but that's state school for ya - otherwise I'd be happily spending dosh on private schooling. A guy can dream...
Clvire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by BrainyBengali)
What were you thinking of going into? (Sorry, haven't done any of those mentioned, but have had friend's experiences during their last yr and a half).
Is religion an A-level subject on it's own? I did 'Philosophy & Ethics' (originally Religious Studies) for GCSE - didn't know religion was one.

Depends however on whether this 4th choice is likely to be the one you drop for A2 - the other 3 are all 'facilitating subjects (Google it; basically subjects highly valued for their difficulty by Top Unis) so they would definitely be fine to take to A2 if you think you could handle them.

One word of warning though: literally everyonesays that Bio is the subject with the most content. Full. Stop. A lot of it is memorising, while in Chemistry, a lot of people found AS relatively manageable, but once A2 started, the level of question difficulty and the way they were asked was very very hard, one even jokingly calling it 'degree-level type question' (doubt it, since so many complain of the jump from A-level to Uni, same as GCSE to A-level). Anyway, if you are good at memorising, thinking logically, doing practical work, etc then go for the sciences - but they'll mainly help for science related degrees.

French is also quite quite hard - it's Advanced-Level for a reason. Not easy to get mark in anymore, like in GCSE with a few tenses and preparation for writing and speaking tests. Our year had only a few in the French class, but each found it hard too. Tbh, every A-level is difficult, and rightly so. You do have to prove your worth to the Unis - I have no idea how so many people are getting straight A's all over the country and from abroad to come to our competitive London/ Russel Group Unis ...

Gd luck on choosing . Remember - don't be shy to ask people in the years above - they are the best at telling you honestly what it's like, not when the teacher's will just big-up their subjects and undermine the other departments Banta
Also, (you've heard this before, but) don't choose subjects based on friends taking certain subjects, or if there's a good/'bad' teacher - they mix up, leave and join all the time. It's frustrating if you're unlucky enough not to be able to get used to one teacher, but that's state school for ya - otherwise I'd be happily spending dosh on private schooling. A guy can dream...
Thanks for the advice!
BrainyBengali
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Clvire)
Thanks for the advice!
No problemo amigo Glad to have used my experience to potentially help prevent you from making the wrong choice. What's the use of experiencing stuff if if you can't pass it on for others to learn from? *Late night Philosophy on TSR - no wonder why I got that A* Surprised myself
Started off a Wednesday nicely; there's my good deed for the week done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Do you give blood?