The Student Room Group

Is NASA going to announce the discovery of alien life?

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-host-news-conference-on-discovery-beyond-our-solar-system

Not that it's found, but that there's a planet with oxygen in its atmosphere or something.

Also, what should we do when we discover alien life? Either it's underdeveloped and imo we should not interfere with it, or it's more evolved than us and we need to be careful in our interactions.
They'll invade Earth but not realise that its mostly water which kills them (top story Shamalayan or however the **** plot twist meme guys name is spelt).
Original post by IFLICHBA
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-host-news-conference-on-discovery-beyond-our-solar-system

Not that it's found, but that there's a planet with oxygen in its atmosphere or something.

Also, what should we do when we discover alien life? Either it's underdeveloped and imo we should not interfere with it, or it's more evolved than us and we need to be careful in our interactions.

Can you imagine if a flying saucer landed on the white house lawn and the LGMs asked to meet the leader... Planetary cringe.

Probably something about the atmosphere of a planet orbiting a nearby red dwarf given the second speaker on the program is the principal investigator of SPECULOOS
http://www.speculoos.ulg.ac.be/cms/c_3437231/en/speculoos-team
I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories but I can't see the existence of aliens being willingly released. Any kind of life other than something the size of bacteria would cause panic; religious organisations would go crazy - generally they've been telling us that mankind is special, unique and created in God's own image. The discovery of intelligent alien life would totally destroy that idea.

If you believe a former Canadian Defence Minister then aliens are already here.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/former-canadian-defence-secretary-paul-hellyer-calls-on-governments-to-reveal-ufo-information-10190024.html%253Famp&ved=0ahUKEwiag7eajaPSAhVBLcAKHVkEDH4QFghpMA8&usg=AFQjCNFgzmQpKvuvt8BtN2ZRn_9NH7zScA&sig2=Wvis5nkVPwQBKmbt6aeKkw

Personally I think it unlikely that aliens are here but I also think it's impossible that mankind is totally alone in a universe that's so large it's almost impossible to comprehend.
I never understood the whole alien thing.

I get that it's a bit wild that so many people think they've been kidnapped by aliens who only seem to be interested in sexually abusing them, but our whole attitude to aliens seems to be absurd.

If you openly say you believe in aliens - you're automatically a nut. Yet the maths suggests that it's almost impossible that there aren't aliens.

If you don't believe in Man-made global warming, you're automatically a nut - because apparently the science suggests that it's very likely it exists.

So going with science is ok for one, but not the other?
Original post by Mathemagicien

If you openly say you believe in aliens, you aren't a nut. You are only a nut if the context suggests you meant you believe aliens have been visiting the Earth (and implies a government coverup/alien abductions)

Why are you a nut for believing aliens have visited earth, tho?
Donald Trump is an extra-terrestrial who has come to earth to purge the U.S. of aliens.
Original post by Trinculo
Yet the maths suggests that it's almost impossible that there aren't aliens.

What maths? A statistical probability expression with no accuracy on any of the coefficients is just a blind guess at best. Intuition and faith are not a scientifically rigorous tools !

But the search for an earth-like planet goes on, which is after all, the best 'hope' we have for discovering a matrix of life outside of our own world - whatever form that takes or none at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Only an hour til the announcement. Strap yourselves in!!!!

Original post by Tempest II
I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories but I can't see the existence of aliens being willingly released. Any kind of life other than something the size of bacteria would cause panic; religious organisations would go crazy - generally they've been telling us that mankind is special, unique and created in God's own image. The discovery of intelligent alien life would totally destroy that idea.

If you believe a former Canadian Defence Minister then aliens are already here.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/former-canadian-defence-secretary-paul-hellyer-calls-on-governments-to-reveal-ufo-information-10190024.html%253Famp&ved=0ahUKEwiag7eajaPSAhVBLcAKHVkEDH4QFghpMA8&usg=AFQjCNFgzmQpKvuvt8BtN2ZRn_9NH7zScA&sig2=Wvis5nkVPwQBKmbt6aeKkw

Personally I think it unlikely that aliens are here but I also think it's impossible that mankind is totally alone in a universe that's so large it's almost impossible to comprehend.

that's a good reason to release the information, we could do with them all shutting up for a change and forgetting their dumb gods
Oh so very predictable. NASA must think they will be in the firing line for cost cutting now that Donald is in office.
Interesting. On the subject of extraterrestrial life, it's certainly something worth exploring. Just think of what we could learn from it. I don't think people on Earth would go too wild over some gunk or bugs.

However, when it comes to intelligent extraterrestrial life, I personally believe it would be best to avoid making contact unless we can really be sure it's in our best interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending