The Student Room Group

Organisation at uni

Hey!

So I am going to uni this September - I am planning on studying environmental science. I was hoping anyone who already goes to uni, or has a friend/family member that does could answer a question.

For you, which was the best way to organise notes? I like handwriting things, however I wasn't sure if it was better to have a folder, and use dividers. Maybe a folder for 3 modules or whatever (not sure how much room I'll need),
Or I have been thinking about having a notebook for each module and writing all my notes in that, then having a folder for any exam questions, or extra resources.I do have a notebook with dividers in so I could use that for practice questions and stuff?

I am planning to make weekly revision diagrams, so I just wanted to know which you think is more appropriate and/or easier?

Thanks! Basically any organisation and note taking advice for uni would be appreciated! :smile:
Original post by ~Martha~
Hey!

So I am going to uni this September - I am planning on studying environmental science. I was hoping anyone who already goes to uni, or has a friend/family member that does could answer a question.

For you, which was the best way to organise notes? I like handwriting things, however I wasn't sure if it was better to have a folder, and use dividers. Maybe a folder for 3 modules or whatever (not sure how much room I'll need),
Or I have been thinking about having a notebook for each module and writing all my notes in that, then having a folder for any exam questions, or extra resources.I do have a notebook with dividers in so I could use that for practice questions and stuff?

I am planning to make weekly revision diagrams, so I just wanted to know which you think is more appropriate and/or easier?

Thanks! Basically any organisation and note taking advice for uni would be appreciated! :smile:

I'd say wait until you get into your course before deciding on a system. For the first few weeks have a single notebook and somewhere to store handouts.

Different lecturers will provide lecture materials in different ways - some you'll get all the slides online, others they'll have a handout, others will have nothing. Until you know the specifics you your course it's going to be limiting to settle on a system.

Once you've been there a few weeks have a look at what's in your notebook and stored elsewhere and decide what's going to work best for you. It could be if you've got lots of presentations and similar available online that something like https://www.onenote.com/ would be better to embed images and notes together.
Original post by ~Martha~
Hey!

Hi Martha,

I’m just over half way through my first year doing marketing at Derby. In the first semester, I tried having folders for each module and adding my notes to them as I went a long but I found this was a lot of hassle and very easy to get confused as to what order everything went in. This semester I have 3 notebooks (one per module) and I am finding this much easier. It also helps because then you have all your notes with you all the time, not stuck at your halls in a folder when you need them at uni.

It also depends what your course is and how many handouts your lecturers provides you with. I very rarely have extra paper that needs to be organised as notebooks work well for me, but you’ll have to see what your course is like to figure out what is best for you.

Hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with!

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest