Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm studying health and social care and we are doing a business module.. i know nothing about business so please keep that in mind

What are some organisational theories? Is it the same thing as leadership/management theories?

plz help, literally any help at all will be appreciated
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
username2983974
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing business and i've never read anything about 'organisational theories'. The closest i know are the 'organisational structures' which are the formal internal frameworks of a business that show how it is managed and organised.
Maybe ask me something more specific?
username2538449
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think about contingency theory, division of labour, bureaucratic theory, the rational perspective, the modern perspective, scientific management, the Hawthorne studies (and effect). Good luck!
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elisabeth1)
Think about contingency theory, division of labour, bureaucratic theory, the rational perspective, the modern perspective, scientific management, the Hawthorne studies (and effect). Good luck!
Contingency theory would arguably be the most appropriate as it's straight forward and the literature supports it almost exclusively. Good shout.

OP, get clarification on what exactly you're being asked to look at, organizational behaviour is rife with theories... With some more direction we could help you far more effectively. It'll almost certainly be about leadership... In which case Fielder's Contingency Theory is straight forward and easy to digest. For something a bit more fuller and argubly more interesting, look at the shift from the Taylorist scientific management approach (where managers dictated and expected employees to obey) to Mayo's Hawthorne Studies identifying the psychological needs of employees and the subsequent (albeit delayed) boom in employee motivation and empowerment (more recently, engagement or participation) theories which argue an organisation is more effective with employees happier and more committed when employees are involved in how they do their job (I.e. two way communication and sharing responsibility).. If you need any specific help or references, give me a shout.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.9%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (41)
44.09%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed