Life Skills and adulting on TSR! Watch

BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
No matter how prepared we feel to look after ourselves or move out, there are always things we are unsure of. How do you work a washing machine, change a light bulb, get a stain out of a carpet? How to get council tax exception, put together or pack away furniture, or apply for a mortgage?

Here on TSR we're going to put some guides together on the skills a lot of us take for granted, and other have no idea how to do. What are things you'd like help with? No life skill is too small, don't be embarrassed, I'm still scared of changing a light bulb from fear of electrocution Post your ideas below!

- Top tips on renting a property
- Cooking Basics
- Dealing with Debt
- Budgeting Spreadsheet and Tips
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
No matter how prepared we feel to look after ourselves or move out, there are always things we are unsure of. How do you work a washing machine, change a light bulb, get a stain out of a carpet? How to get council tax exception, put together or pack away furniture, or apply for a mortgage?

Here on TSR we're going to put some guides together on the skills a lot of us take for granted, and other have no idea how to do. What are things you'd like help with? No life skill is too small, don't be embarrassed, I'm still scared of changing a light bulb from fear of electrocution Post your ideas below!

- Top tips on renting a property
- Cooking Basics
- Dealing with Debt
- Budgeting Spreadsheet and Tips
There was a guide to pensions, that may be worth linking.

Also how to deal with taxes :hide:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How to unblock a toilet. :flute:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
There was a guide to pensions, that may be worth linking.

Also how to deal with taxes :hide:
I'll have a look and see if either need updating as there is a taxes on too yeah! Thanks

(Original post by PQ)
Very true! I'm not sure I would really know, just get the toilet brush, look away, and give it a wiggle down there is all I would know to try :lol: thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll have a look and see if either need updating as there is a taxes on too yeah! Thanks

Very true! I'm not sure I would really know, just get the toilet brush, look away, and give it a wiggle down there is all I would know to try :lol: thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to b&q to buy a plunger is surprisingly embarrassing
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Going to b&q to buy a plunger is surprisingly embarrassing
Sounds like you have experience then what do you actually do with a plunger? I seriously wouldn't know, I'd be too scared to break something. Our student house toilet had been blocked before and I've either sorted it with the toilet brush, a housemate has sorted it, or got my landlord to sort it if it was a pipe problem
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wonder how many tsrians it takes to change a lightbulb...
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Chuck a load of bleach down the toilet then stick a lot of plastic bags over a mop, no need to get a plunger
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like you have experience then what do you actually do with a plunger? I seriously wouldn't know, I'd be too scared to break something. Our student house toilet had been blocked before and I've either sorted it with the toilet brush, a housemate has sorted it, or got my landlord to sort it if it was a pipe problem
You just bung it in and pump it up and down a bit. Clears pretty much everything.

The key with blocked toilets (in my fairly limited experience) is not to panic and hit the flush more than once. A toilet bowl will hold one flush. Flush again and things (THINGS ) are going to start overflowing onto the bathroom floor.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
You just bung it in and pump it up and down a bit. Clears pretty much everything.
You can even get a bell plunger that's shaped to make it easier! :yep:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

The key with blocked toilets (in my fairly limited experience) is not to panic and hit the flush more than once. A toilet bowl will hold one flush. Flush again and things (THINGS ) are going to start overflowing onto the bathroom floor.
OH DEAR LORD NO, really?

I will make sure not to do that :lol:
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OH DEAR LORD NO, really?

I will make sure not to do that :lol:
If you overflow a blocked toilet, the non-water contents doesn't magically stay in the bowl, I'm afraid

Posted from TSR Mobile
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
If you overflow a blocked toilet, the non-water contents doesn't magically stay in the bowl, I'm afraid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luckily I've never had to experience that, phew!
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol i think this will be useful to me considering i will probably die the minute i step out of the door in 7 months time :laugh:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
lol i think this will be useful to me considering i will probably die the minute i step out of the door in 7 months time :laugh:
You'll be fine! What sort of things would be useful to have guides and discussion on though?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'll be fine! What sort of things would be useful to have guides and discussion on though?
lol i really wont :rofl:
well ive managed to work out how to use a microwave now (get me ik lol)
um probably stuff about student finance although that probably isnt this section
other than that stuff about doctors at uni and stuff like what facilities they have, i think you have all the other stuff, like cooking and things.
tbh most of the stuff im gonna have issues with are things only i can really sort out, like not freaking out in shops etc
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
um probably stuff about student finance although that probably isnt this section
other than that stuff about doctors at uni and stuff like what facilities they have, i think you have all the other stuff, like cooking and things.
tbh most of the stuff im gonna have issues with are things only i can really sort out, like not freaking out in shops etc
Aww, that's a good step forward then

We have mentioned about creating a brief guide to making doctors and hospital appoints, so I'll ask if we can have something about changing doctors for uni etc. :yep:
anniebernie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree like more Anxiety forums would be great.
bellapetrova94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mortgage and shared ownership housing... can you do this if you've never even rented before? would it save you more than renting? Currently in a pickle about renting or jumping into shared ownership scheme. If anyones familiar help would be appreicated
Extrovert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bellapetrova94)
Mortgage and shared ownership housing... can you do this if you've never even rented before? would it save you more than renting? Currently in a pickle about renting or jumping into shared ownership scheme. If anyones familiar help would be appreicated
I like this idea. A guide to mortgage's would be great. Wouldn't know where to start at all but it would be great if you start a guide on how to get on the housing ladder maybe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (216)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
18.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
10.78%

Watched Threads