The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

First Impressions

Well, been here for about 6 hours now, and I have to say that the campus has exceeded my expectations. I got lost a few times (okay, a lot of times) but I love that it's so big, because I get to explore it. A rural campus is exactly what I wanted, and it more than delivers. My room - and the house in general - is also a lot better than I thought it would be. Compact, but efficient. And I love the fact that everyone here is SO nice and helpful. It's a breath of fresh air after living in London, where everyone's in a rush and pretty much annoyed a lot of the time. I cried after my sister left to go back home, but I feel better now. Still a bit wobbly and emotional and nervous, but I think this is going to be an amazing experience.

Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you doin later on? is anyone in your house yet? im bored to ****! no one is in my house yet, i saw one guy move his stuff in and then got off with his family. if no one comes soon, looks like im going to the venue on my own.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm still unpacking, and then i'll probably sleep. I haven't slept in about 2 days and i'm knackered. I think most people in my house have moved in, but i'm feeling a bit blah and haven't met some of them yet. I just want some alone time. It's pretty lame for a fresher, but oh well. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Its a good place but this is all a bit much for me and i am finding it hard.
Only guys in my house at the moment and they have gone off to the pub so...yeah.
Will have to see how it goes as the week goes on. I might ask for a swap?
It would be nicer to live with people in the same boat as me, scared and nervous who i can talk to.
Reply 4
TomRanson
Its a good place but this is all a bit much for me and i am finding it hard.
Only guys in my house at the moment and they have gone off to the pub so...yeah.
Will have to see how it goes as the week goes on. I might ask for a swap?
It would be nicer to live with people in the same boat as me, scared and nervous who i can talk to.

I'm pretty much petrified. I was with my sister today, so it wasn't a completely jarring experience, but after she left it really hit me that i'm in a completely new environment. I'm finding it hard too, and I think that's natural. Give it a few weeks and i'm sure we'll find our feet. :wink:
Reply 5
I love everything. It is just that I haven't made any friends yet :frown: There was a pub/bar crawl and Im not into that so I didnt go. And earlier I heard people making noise in the distance but I didn't wanna go out and find out because I was happy in my room and it was all loud and I don't really like that. I am alright now too, but I don't know. I do want to make friends but I don't want people to be like, come to this party or pub etc, and it seems that most people are into that. I dont mind other things but not parties and drinking.
Dunno what Ill do. Think Ill make friends eventually. Well I have made one.
Reply 6
i'm loving it here, my room is great, everything is going smoothly, everyone is friendly.
I haven't made many friends, spoken to just a few people, So far my floor only has one other person.
Reply 7
I think that us three should meet up and have a quiet chat together. At least we are all in the same sort of boat. The other people in my house just want to go off and go to the pub or a party. I just want to stay in.
I thought coming to uni might help me branch out, it just scares me and makes me wanna hide away!!:eek: :frown:
Reply 8
yeah, i'm not the pub crawl type either. I'm in the computer lab atm.
Reply 9
Computer lab? Awesome. I was in my girlfriends room at the time. Its the only thing keeping me sane. If i had to do this on my own i would break down...lol.
Back in my room right now, i live in Lypeatt Court. Kind of double-edged sword. Its nice because its new but it doesn't feel very homey at all!!
i moved in all my stuff 2dy n came home...offically moving in 2mo. i thought it was nice bt it was all a bit much 4 me...lol, looking fwd 2 2mo but didnt see many ppl moving into keynes!
Reply 11
Purple Sunset
I love everything. It is just that I haven't made any friends yet :frown: There was a pub/bar crawl and Im not into that so I didnt go. And earlier I heard people making noise in the distance but I didn't wanna go out and find out because I was happy in my room and it was all loud and I don't really like that. I am alright now too, but I don't know. I do want to make friends but I don't want people to be like, come to this party or pub etc, and it seems that most people are into that. I dont mind other things but not parties and drinking.
Dunno what Ill do. Think Ill make friends eventually. Well I have made one.

Aww yeah, i'm exactly the same. Meeting up sounds good, at least we all have something in common now. :smile:

ps, Does anyone else have a rock-hard matress? Every inch of my body is screaming after last night. :frown:
Reply 12
martell
Aww yeah, i'm exactly the same. Meeting up sounds good, at least we all have something in common now. :smile:

ps, Does anyone else have a rock-hard matress? Every inch of my body is screaming after last night. :frown:

Yeah same. Didn't help that someone (possibly in this house) played Kanye West at max volume at 2 this morning. Wasn't impressed.
The way things are going i might ask for a swap.
Reply 13
TomRanson
Yeah same. Didn't help that someone (possibly in this house) played Kanye West at max volume at 2 this morning. Wasn't impressed.
The way things are going i might ask for a swap.

At least it wasn't 50 Cent. :rolleyes: Now that would be painful.

What house are you in at Lypeatt? I'm in 7, really close to the pub/shop/accom office, so i'm happy with it.
Reply 14
martell
At least it wasn't 50 Cent. :rolleyes: Now that would be painful.

What house are you in at Lypeatt? I'm in 7, really close to the pub/shop/accom office, so i'm happy with it.

I'm in 13 so close to you. I am wearing a green and yellow top today with Kerry Group written on it, you can't miss me...
hey ... i'm in 28 ... not really met many people yet ... i have ginger hair and a beard ... can't miss me ... introduce yourself!
Reply 16
aw man, only just got the wireless connection up ¬.¬

currently only 2 blocks of Dawin College have internet access out of like 14-ish, everyone else is expected to connect wirelessly till tuesday.

Overall I like the campus tbh, went on the pub crawl yesterday and I didn't realise how many people lived in Dawin, probably about 200 of us wandering about, wasn't that bad plus every bar we went to was nice...except for elliot :P

Only annoying thing so far is the fact I'm the only guy in my block out of 5 people, all the girls seem nice it's just I'd prefer for there to be at least one guy neighbour :P
Reply 17
Hey all, Im also bored outta my head, I wanna do something, lol anything, but i'm one of those shy folk.If you lot plan anythng, count me in, I realllyy need to do something to keep me from going mad :p:
Reply 18
Me too! Anyone in Parkwood?
Reply 19
I'm up for meeting you all.

Quick Reply

Latest