The Student Room Group

Maths at Oxford

I recently received an offer for Maths at Oxford. But at the moment I don't have a lot of confidence in Oxford being right for me because everyone says you have to work extremely hard on top of being a genius. I myself find it very difficult to not procrastinate and study regularly. Does anyone have any tips to become good at studying? Also, do you think I should accept my offer given that I'm currently not very good at studying? Lastly, does anyone have preparation tips because I'm an international student and I have not covered all A level maths.
Original post by Evariste18
I recently received an offer for Maths at Oxford. But at the moment I don't have a lot of confidence in Oxford being right for me because everyone says you have to work extremely hard on top of being a genius. I myself find it very difficult to not procrastinate and study regularly. Does anyone have any tips to become good at studying? Also, do you think I should accept my offer given that I'm currently not very good at studying? Lastly, does anyone have preparation tips because I'm an international student and I have not covered all A level maths.

Hi @Evariste18 - I understand entirely how you feel! I felt exactly the same way before I started studying English at Oxford (massive procrastinator here :colondollar:) - specifically about the 'being a genius' part.

But actually, once I got here, I realised that everybody I spoke to had the same fears (and were equally good at procrastinating). Yes you have to work hard, but you adapt to it, and learn to balance it with other things - in cases where people struggle, there is a lot of help available; tutors who you can speak to (and who I did speak to - they were really understanding, and flexible - looked at how they could change things), peer mentors etc. You also have options to attend study skills sessions. A wise piece of advice I was given was that "Oxford is what you make of it" - you can easily be the person who works sensible hours, and takes regular breaks (catching up with once upon a time episodes in my case ha...), and enjoys a social life (lots of waffle outings with my friends!).

In terms of 'being a genius' - you certainly don't have to know everything about everything, I didn't - nor did my friends, and that's absolutely fine. I was really worried about this when I received my place, especially given the background I came from (a school where nobody had ever gone to Oxbridge) - but I needn't have worried. Be reassured by the tutors who have selected you - they're very good at their jobs and have identified your talent. You wouldn't have an offer if you weren't deserving of it, or if they weren't confident you'd suit the Oxford teaching system/or it you. Plus the tutorials are really super and tailored to your needs - that's a huge benefit of the one on one time you get at Oxford.

I hope that helps - but if you do want to speak things through you are always welcome to PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending