The Student Room Group

Going in as an Officer or Airwoman? Not sure what to go with

Hi!

I'm planning to start my application process for the RAF in the near future, but I'm not sure what route to go down. I am currently studying a HNC in Mechanical Engineering and planning to progress onto a HND. I eventually want to become an Engineering Officer in the RAF, but I'm also considering the application for an Aircraft Technician.
Should I apply for the Aircraft Technician role once I've done my HND (bearing in mind the minimum educational requirements for the role are GCSEs) or should I top-up my HND into a Bachelors Degree and pursue the option of becoming an Engineering Officer?

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by x1chloe1x
Hi!

I'm planning to start my application process for the RAF in the near future, but I'm not sure what route to go down. I am currently studying a HNC in Mechanical Engineering and planning to progress onto a HND. I eventually want to become an Engineering Officer in the RAF, but I'm also considering the application for an Aircraft Technician.
Should I apply for the Aircraft Technician role once I've done my HND (bearing in mind the minimum educational requirements for the role are GCSEs) or should I top-up my HND into a Bachelors Degree and pursue the option of becoming an Engineering Officer?

Many thanks!

What do you want to do day to day?

Do you see yourself as someone who's more hands on, getting your fingers dirty, or are you more of an office bod, filling out forms, delegating work and managing a department?

Don't feel like a HND will be 'too much' for the role, just because the minimum requirements are GCSEs. There will be plenty of techies with degrees, they simply preferred that role.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
What do you want to do day to day?

Do you see yourself as someone who's more hands on, getting your fingers dirty, or are you more of an office bod, filling out forms, delegating work and managing a department?

Don't feel like a HND will be 'too much' for the role, just because the minimum requirements are GCSEs. There will be plenty of techies with degrees, they simply preferred that role.

Thank you for the respionse! :h:
At the moment, I think I would prefer having the responsibilities of being a manager/leader, but anything could change over the next year including my career choices.
It's also good to know that people holding degrees apply to be a techie!
Say, if I do decide to go in as a techie, do you know if there would be any opportunity for me to progress onto being an engineering officer?
Reply 3
Original post by x1chloe1x
Thank you for the respionse! :h:
At the moment, I think I would prefer having the responsibilities of being a manager/leader, but anything could change over the next year including my career choices.
It's also good to know that people holding degrees apply to be a techie!
Say, if I do decide to go in as a techie, do you know if there would be any opportunity for me to progress onto being an engineering officer?

It's worth getting in touch with a careers office and/or the engineering liaison team via social media, see if you can get a visit to ask people about it.

Yes, there would be opportunities to progress.
Reply 4
I will do! I have spoke to the careers office before but that was at least a year ago with intentions of going in as an engineering officer after my degree. I'll now talk to them about the potential paths that I would be able to take and see what they say.
As you've said about the opportunities to progress, I reckon I may start the RAF application process in September as well as a UCAS application and see where that takes me.

Thank you very much for the help!
Reply 5
As an officer, you will, as said above, be mostly confined to an office - as well as dealing with ******** that you don't want to do, but have to because you are an officer. It's the same in all trades.
The RAF is crying out for Eng Officers. If you have the potential, then go for it. Don't sell yourself short. There are so many more opportunities and career management benefits as an Officer.

Quick Reply

Latest