The Student Room Group

Worried about my future without maths

not sure if this was the right section, but anyway

i'm taking National 5 (equivalent of GCSE maths i think) for the 2nd time, after getting chucked off the course mid-way through my 1st time. i've struggled with maths for as long as i can remember, aside from National 4 maths, which i was reasonably good at, and passed with no problems. i'm really struggling again with a lot of the National 5 course this year, and i find myself staring blankly at pages for periods at a time, not knowing what to do, despite being given clear explanations.

i'm headed to uni in September, and my firm choice does not need maths, nor does my insurance choice. what i'm worried about is if not having National 5 maths would heavily affect my chances of getting into the career i want after Uni. i imagine that they'd be happy to overlook my lack of maths if i had an Honors degree, but i've been told otherwise.

can anyone offer any input?
Original post by lperry
not sure if this was the right section, but anyway

i'm taking National 5 (equivalent of GCSE maths i think) for the 2nd time, after getting chucked off the course mid-way through my 1st time. i've struggled with maths for as long as i can remember, aside from National 4 maths, which i was reasonably good at, and passed with no problems. i'm really struggling again with a lot of the National 5 course this year, and i find myself staring blankly at pages for periods at a time, not knowing what to do, despite being given clear explanations.

i'm headed to uni in September, and my firm choice does not need maths, nor does my insurance choice. what i'm worried about is if not having National 5 maths would heavily affect my chances of getting into the career i want after Uni. i imagine that they'd be happy to overlook my lack of maths if i had an Honors degree, but i've been told otherwise.

can anyone offer any input?

It really depends on the sector- some are more fussy about qualifications than others. Is there any way you can arrange some one to one help with your teacher or a private tutor?
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
It really depends on the sector- some are more fussy about qualifications than others. Is there any way you can arrange some one to one help with your teacher or a private tutor?

i had a tutor back in my 1st year. they were helpful, but nothing seemed to sink in, not like with other subjects. i was dropped from the course after getting 11% in the mock exam/prelim. i achieved the same result in the prelim this year.

i almost feel like my brain's just hardwired to not be very good at maths
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending