The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Uni choice conflict

WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE UEA FOR ENGLISH WITH CREATIVE WRITING INSTEAD OF BIRMINGHAM

please help I'm so stuck
Thankyou! X
Hi Anna,

Making big decisions like that can be tough! But we think UEA could be the perfect choice for you.

UEA's Creative Department has a great reputation, as one of the first UK universities to run a Creative Writing Masters. The department is well established, with great teachers and a really impressive list of Creative Writing alumni, from both the undergraduate and the postgraduate course. Many of those who study English Literature with Creative Writing at undergraduate will go on to apply for the MA too. UEA is also in the UK Top 5 for Creative Writing, according to Complete University Guide 2017.

The undergraduate course is a great way to develop your writing skills and improve your knowledge. It's also a modular course, which means you can tailor your studies to suit your interests: from classes in script-writing to poetry to gothic literature. (You can find out more about the module options here.) I myself studied Creative Writing undergraduate at UEA and then returned to complete the MA in Creative Writing, so I can speak for the brilliance of the course! :smile:

There's a thriving literary scene in Norwich. Norwich became England's first UNESCO City of Literature in 2012, and there are lots of wonderful literary events including the UEA Literary Festival - in fact, Lionel Shriver was on campus giving a talk last night! There are plenty of great bookshops, so you're sure to get lost browsing for your perfect next read. There are lots of writers living in Norwich too, including Rose Tremain, Sarah Perry, Benjamin Johncock, Emma Healey and more, so it's a great environment for aspiring and developing authors.

The campus of UEA is very beautiful, and the accommodation is extensive and varied, so you're sure to find something you like. Our undergraduate accommodation is among the best in the country. It was voted number one in the UK by the What Uni Student Choice Awards in 2011 and our research also shows that we have some of the best value student accommodation compared to the UK's other top 30 universities.

You might enjoy this video featuring Emma Healey, a graduate of the Creative Writing Prose MA:

[video="youtube;n2-3S92Ck9o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-3S92Ck9o[/video]

Hope this helps you make your decision! :smile::smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest