Worth applying to these Russel Group Unis for Economics? Watch

periperii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently doing A Levels in Maths, Economics and IT.

I want to apply for Economics later this year at:

Nottingham,
Bristol,
Southampton,
Manchester
+ 1 other (non Russel Group).

My AS levels are going well and I am predicted A's. Although I am sceptical because of my GCSE's.

The Unis are not asking for specific GCSE requirements but I have heard that Russel groups look at GCSE's a lot even though they have no specific requirement for them.

My GCSE's/Equivalent:

A*ABCCCCCC

I have a lot to write on my personal statement, like the books I've read to bank work experience.

Is it worth applying to Russel groups with good AS results (hopefully) and a good personal statement, or will I just be wasting 4 spaces.

Sorry for the long explanation but thanks for all answers!
Dafock
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by periperii)
Hi, I am currently doing A Levels in Maths, Economics and IT.

I want to apply for Economics later this year at:

Nottingham,
Bristol,
Southampton,
Manchester
+ 1 other (non Russel Group).

My AS levels are going well and I am predicted A's. Although I am sceptical because of my GCSE's.

The Unis are not asking for specific GCSE requirements but I have heard that Russel groups look at GCSE's a lot even though they have no specific requirement for them.

My GCSE's/Equivalent:

A*ABCCCCCC

I have a lot to write on my personal statement, like the books I've read to bank work experience.

Is it worth applying to Russel groups with good AS results (hopefully) and a good personal statement, or will I just be wasting 4 spaces.

Sorry for the long explanation but thanks for all answers!
Russel groups arent so prestigious to check your GCSE's, only oxford and cambridge give a ****. Unless your doing a demanding course like medicine.
blackdiamond97
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most RGs require Bs, if not As, in English and Maths GCSE. They may waive that requirement if you go on to do maths at AS/A level.
periperii
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Dafock)
Russel groups arent so prestigious to check your GCSE's, only oxford and cambridge give a ****. Unless your doing a demanding course like medicine.
Thankss
username2944572
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just smash your A levels tbh
Im not going to say GCSE's dont matter because universities still look at your overall application including those grades so having mainly A/A* grades is convincing

However you must understand that gcse's are pretty futile when it comes to giving out offers (kind of contradicted myself) but they look at your A level grades/predicted grades way more than your gcses so focus on A levels and over achieve your predicted grades.
xxx-ooo-xxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Russell Groups aren't what you need to be aiming for anyway? There are some real average universities in the RG so I'd suggest maybe looking into it a bit more before you make decisions because you may well forget about some bloody good universities that you've overlooked due to this
DarthJarJar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
Russell Groups aren't what you need to be aiming for anyway? There are some real average universities in the RG so I'd suggest maybe looking into it a bit more before you make decisions because you may well forget about some bloody good universities that you've overlooked due to this
Bath is the only good non RG uni for economics at least. You're undermining how good these unis are.
SinsNotTragedies
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DarthJarJar)
Bath is the only good non RG uni for economics at least. You're undermining how good these unis are.
Only Bath? :curious:
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not undermining them lmao I applied to two of them myself, I'm just saying it would be a good idea to have another look without restricting to RG just in case they've missed somewhere that could be really good for them
DarthJarJar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
Only Bath? :curious:
You know of any other non rg unis that are also good for economics and are as good as notts, bristol etc?

(Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
I'm not undermining them lmao I applied to two of them myself, I'm just saying it would be a good idea to have another look without restricting to RG just in case they've missed somewhere that could be really good for them
Fair enough, but can you name any? As I said, I can only really think of a couple, which is St Andrews and Bath.
xxx-ooo-xxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You know of any other non rg unis that are also good for economics and are as good as notts, bristol etc?

Fair enough, but can you name any? As I said, I can only really think of a couple, which is St Andrews and Bath.
Lancaster, Surrey, Loughborough, Kent, etc. all of which are supposedly better than Manchester and Southampton in particular for economics. I know those two probably sound a bit more prestigious but the quality of teaching and happiness of the OP in any of the places is far more important
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%