The Student Room Group

PH scale

Is the PH scale from 0 to 14 or 1 to 14?
My teacher says its from 1 to 14 and in one of the past papers it said that (I think)
While google says its from 0 to 14
I'm so confused
Reply 1
Original post by Erjon
Is the PH scale from 0 to 14 or 1 to 14?
My teacher says its from 1 to 14 and in one of the past papers it said that (I think)
While google says its from 0 to 14
I'm so confused

Hiya,
From all of the resources, I've used in the past and present it's 1-14, however, if in an exam paper the exam board specify it as 0-14 then that's the one I'd use. It still shouldn't make any difference, if the PH is 0 then it is acidic, just the same as if the PH is 1.
Hope this helped :smile:
OK, im just stressing out cause I have a exam tomorrow
Reply 3
Original post by Erjon
OK, im just stressing out cause I have a exam tomorrow

If I were you I'd follow what your teacher said (1-14) as it's likely they'll have been teaching that exam board for a long time and are familiar with what the exam board wants.

Bare in mind that past papers you do aren't necessarily the same exam board as the one you use for the real exam, some questions are taken from loads of different resources, so some questions may say 0-14 and others may say 1-14.

If it's your teacher who's marking the test then I'd go with 1-14 as that's what they've taught, however, 0-14 is also technically correct so you would probably still get the mark for it.

And don't stress! This question would only be worth 1 mark at most in any test :smile:
Original post by Alex107
If I were you I'd follow what your teacher said (1-14) as it's likely they'll have been teaching that exam board for a long time and are familiar with what the exam board wants.

Bare in mind that past papers you do aren't necessarily the same exam board as the one you use for the real exam, some questions are taken from loads of different resources, so some questions may say 0-14 and others may say 1-14.

If it's your teacher who's marking the test then I'd go with 1-14 as that's what they've taught, however, 0-14 is also technically correct so you would probably still get the mark for it.

And don't stress! This question would only be worth 1 mark at most in any test :smile:

Actually negative pH values are quite possible.

.. and it's "bear" (as in carry) not "bare" (as in expose)
Reply 5
At GCSE they don't expect students to understand negative PH values...

Quick Reply

Latest