The Student Room Group

Pharmacy

I am in year 12 and thinking about what i would like to do at uni. Pharmacy looks appealing to me therefore I wanted to ask if any of you know if it is really competitive and have any tips on applying when writing personal statements . I would also love to read your experiences if any of you are studying pharmacy. What is it about , how difficult it is, do you enjoy it and etc. I would really appreciate your help! Thank you.
Original post by Giving
I am in year 12 and thinking about what i would like to do at uni. Pharmacy looks appealing to me therefore I wanted to ask if any of you know if it is really competitive and have any tips on applying when writing personal statements . I would also love to read your experiences if any of you are studying pharmacy. What is it about , how difficult it is, do you enjoy it and etc. I would really appreciate your help! Thank you.

I am a pharmacist, I graduated in 2013 at the age of 21 (am 25 atm) and been a registered pharmacist for 1 and a bit years (had to take a year out after graduating aas I there were tonnes of issues which werent any fault of my own).

pharmacy as a degree isnt that competitive to get a place on as medicine or dentistry but it does require straight As minimum in A levels and the equivalent of Bs or above in GCSE maths, english language and As minimum in science GCSEs.

the job market is stupendously competitive however as for some reason pharmacy graduate numbers aren't capped and you have people with 2:1s and 1sts from russell groups unis unable to get work after completing your pre-reg.

additionally if you want work after pre-reg, the only way to get decent fulltime jobs is if you have connections or move to places which are virtually nowhere as in busy hubs (big cities, big towns) there are too many pharmacists, not enough pharmacies and the pharmacy owners / managers only give work to people they have connections with.

hospital as it stands only wants pharmacists with a minimum of 6-12 months experience working in hospitals (ie pre-reg in hospital) and GP surgeries require pharmacists to have been registered for a minimum of 2-3 years before applying for jobs (I am interested in GP surgery work as you more or less do what GPs do minus diagnosis for conditions outside your area of expertise for NHS patients (private you can do whatever you want) but because I have only been a pharmacist for 15 months, I have to wait :| )

In terms of the degree itself, I found it pretty straightforward (minus final year for reasons I wont go into in public but generally speaking the last year should in theory be the easiest). In pharmacy you mainly cover law and ethics (I find it boring, lectures are definately boring but the MEP book is pretty straightforward and tbh is all you need for law and ethics to get a 1st / 2:1...dale and appelbes is overrated and imo a load of crap); clinical stuff (my personal fav but it does require you to sit down and revise from year 2) and chemistry pharmaceutical stuff (in theory interesting, most lab work but exams were a pain). I posted a video on youtube about pharmacy school revision content in case you want a look.

in terms of applying to uni, Id say just be honest, enthusiastic and make sure you practice mental arrithmatic (med and pharmacy schools expect junior doctors / pre-reg pharmacists to calculate things in wards on the go). also make sure you keep up with latest medical news.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by quasa
I am a pharmacist, I graduated in 2013 at the age of 21 (am 25 atm) and been a registered pharmacist for 1 and a bit years (had to take a year out after graduating aas I there were tonnes of issues which werent any fault of my own).

pharmacy as a degree isnt that competitive to get a place on as medicine or dentistry but it does require straight As minimum in A levels and the equivalent of Bs or above in GCSE maths, english language and As minimum in science GCSEs.

the job market is stupendously competitive however as for some reason pharmacy graduate numbers aren't capped and you have people with 2:1s and 1sts from russell groups unis unable to get work after completing your pre-reg.

additionally if you want work after pre-reg, the only way to get decent fulltime jobs is if you have connections or move to places which are virtually nowhere as in busy hubs (big cities, big towns) there are too many pharmacists, not enough pharmacies and the pharmacy owners / managers only give work to people they have connections with.

hospital as it stands only wants pharmacists with a minimum of 6-12 months experience working in hospitals (ie pre-reg in hospital) and GP surgeries require pharmacists to have been registered for a minimum of 2-3 years before applying for jobs (I am interested in GP surgery work as you more or less do what GPs do minus diagnosis for conditions outside your area of expertise for NHS patients (private you can do whatever you want) but because I have only been a pharmacist for 15 months, I have to wait :| )

In terms of the degree itself, I found it pretty straightforward (minus final year for reasons I wont go into in public but generally speaking the last year should in theory be the easiest). In pharmacy you mainly cover law and ethics (I find it boring, lectures are definately boring but the MEP book is pretty straightforward and tbh is all you need for law and ethics to get a 1st / 2:1...dale and appelbes is overrated and imo a load of crap); clinical stuff (my personal fav but it does require you to sit down and revise from year 2) and chemistry pharmaceutical stuff (in theory interesting, most lab work but exams were a pain). I posted a video on youtube about pharmacy school revision content in case you want a look.

in terms of applying to uni, Id say just be honest, enthusiastic and make sure you practice mental arrithmatic (med and pharmacy schools expect junior doctors / pre-reg pharmacists to calculate things in wards on the go). also make sure you keep up with latest medical news.

Thank you for taking time to post this. I forgot to ask what about the interview for university place? What questions do they ask? Was it really stressfull? Also yeah sure i will check out your youtube channel, what is its name?
Reply 3
Its not that competitive. If you have good grades and are a nice person they will give you an offer.
Currently in year 13 applied for pharmacy and I am looking forward to it
I heard its a lot of work but it seems very interesting!
Personal statement, you should get work experience because unis like you looking into pharmacy and looking at what you do outside of school.

I suggest getting work experience for a hospital or community pharmacy, cause they ask you in interviews.
Unis start giving interviews out from BBB grades so as long as you're predicted above that, you should be in a good place.

Look at the courses at the unis, theyre all similar yet how they teach it is different.
Ive applied to UCL, Kings, Manchester, Bath and Nottingham and got 5/5 offers so if you need any help with those specific unis ill be happy to help
Original post by Giving
Thank you for taking time to post this. I forgot to ask what about the interview for university place? What questions do they ask? Was it really stressfull? Also yeah sure i will check out your youtube channel, what is its name?

the interviews were in 2009 so its been a while tbh but I wasnt stressed tbh. they usually ask why do you want to study pharmacy or why that uni (usually answer both questions the same ie say why pharmacy and state what about X uni appeals to you). they can ask topical questions about healthcare or pharmacy (for this year for example, the big talking points are a) 3000 pharmacies shutting down and what impact it can have on patients / how can the profession deal with it; and b) pharmacists being hired to work in GP surgeries in a clinical capacity). some may ask you to identify drug structures (usually aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol) and a lot give gcse year 9 spec mental maths questions which you need a minimum pass mark of 70-80%)

the channel is
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZsqH0c2NJd28_Fs1VbMjg

however 3 of my vids have been removed by youtube and 1 they reduced to a measly 10 seconds :angry:.

there is however 2 good videos: 1 about freshers week; the 2nd is about revision guides for clinical stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ph8
Its not that competitive. If you have good grades and are a nice person they will give you an offer.
Currently in year 13 applied for pharmacy and I am looking forward to it
I heard its a lot of work but it seems very interesting!
Personal statement, you should get work experience because unis like you looking into pharmacy and looking at what you do outside of school.

I suggest getting work experience for a hospital or community pharmacy, cause they ask you in interviews.
Unis start giving interviews out from BBB grades so as long as you're predicted above that, you should be in a good place.

Look at the courses at the unis, theyre all similar yet how they teach it is different.
Ive applied to UCL, Kings, Manchester, Bath and Nottingham and got 5/5 offers so if you need any help with those specific unis ill be happy to help
Thank you for taking time to write this. I am actually interested in nottingham uni and have went to two masterclassess so far and Im also thinking about doing the nottingham potential summer school for pharmacy. I am not too sure if I can get any work experience around where I live so do you think doing a summer school for pharmacy would be a good alternative? Also what A levels did you do and what are you predicted if you dont mind me asking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa

such great advice. this lad deserves a medal!!
Reply 7
Original post by Giving
Thank you for taking time to write this. I am actually interested in nottingham uni and have went to two masterclassess so far and Im also thinking about doing the nottingham potential summer school for pharmacy. I am not too sure if I can get any work experience around where I live so do you think doing a summer school for pharmacy would be a good alternative? Also what A levels did you do and what are you predicted if you dont mind me asking.

yeahh a summer school should be alright!! If not try to do some volunteering or just go to an elderly home and learn about how to deal with elderly patients and possibly learn about medications they take!

Nottingham's interview was the most intense one I had so maybe going to the summer school would give you an insight about their course!
I do psychology, chemistry and maths and im predicted A*AA
Reply 8
Original post by Ph8
yeahh a summer school should be alright!! If not try to do some volunteering or just go to an elderly home and learn about how to deal with elderly patients and possibly learn about medications they take!

Nottingham's interview was the most intense one I had so maybe going to the summer school would give you an insight about their course!
I do psychology, chemistry and maths and im predicted A*AA

Wow A*AA is impressive!!!!! And thank you!
Original post by trustmeimlying1
such great advice. this lad deserves a medal!!

He just forgot to add that the money is rubbish, the public treat you like crap, 'cos you work in a shop and your stress levels will be through the roof!

One of my mates was on 25k as a newly qual. in community last summer. He has decided to apply to a supermarket deputy management training scheme, 30k for same hrs, loads less legal responsibility, and much better money and prospects to progress.
Reply 10
Original post by quasa

Straight A's at A Level? I don't know where you're getting your facts from when 99% of Pharmacy schools in the UK ask for anything from AAB-BBB, and these grades are often lowered during the Clearing period.

Multiple people have posted on TSR about getting into Pharmacy with BBC, BCC and so on during Clearing.
Original post by a.pex
Straight A's at A Level? I don't know where you're getting your facts from when 99% of Pharmacy schools in the UK ask for anything from AAB-BBB, and these grades are often lowered during the Clearing period.

Multiple people have posted on TSR about getting into Pharmacy with BBC, BCC and so on during Clearing.

hmm, grade requirements must have gone down since 2012/2013. prettymuch there was a point where to get into the top ranked schools you were looking at straight As in A levels due to competition. I myself had BCC way back in 2009 but I know guys who started their degrees at top schools between 2012-2014 needed 3As minimum for top schools and ABB for lower ranked schools.
Reply 12
Hey I'm an international student from Algeria and I will be applying for an mpharma degree in pourtsmouth , do u think it's a good choice bcs after reading ur comments on how it's hard to get a pre reg here in the UK I'm starting to doubt my choice !
Original post by Ach-ben
Hey I'm an international student from Algeria and I will be applying for an mpharma degree in pourtsmouth , do u think it's a good choice bcs after reading ur comments on how it's hard to get a pre reg here in the UK I'm starting to doubt my choice !

There are much easier ways to earn 30k a year without putting yourself through a pharmacy degree. A pity as it's an interesting degree but there are like 3000 graduates a year chasing probably less than 2000 jobs.

If I had my chance again, i'd do something else tbh.
Original post by crazy.chemist
There are much easier ways to earn 30k a year without putting yourself through a pharmacy degree. A pity as it's an interesting degree but there are like 3000 graduates a year chasing probably less than 2000 jobs.

If I had my chance again, i'd do something else tbh.

the figures re pharmacists : pharmacies are around 45000 : 11000+ so its roughly a 4:1 pharmacist: pharmacy ratio.

what is worrying is that in the next couple of years with pharmacy cuts, and no restrictions on pharmacy student capping, the figure could well be 50 000: 8500 or a 100:17 pharmacist: pharmacy ratio (or an almost 6:1 ratio)

But I agree, its an interesting degree in which you (can) learn quite a few interesting things but sadly its not that great in the UK and I like you would probably have done something else in the past (foundation medicine in my case instead of 4 year MPharm).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ach-ben

my advice is that you should avoid coming here tbh if you want to work here as home and foreign pharmacy students find it hard to get work and the only places where you can get decent work is in villages in the middle of nowhere (and even they are busy and a lot from my experience are quite racist to non-caucasian people and discriminate heavily against muslims). In fact, I know someone who had to defer their pre-reg because the discrimination was so bad in a village, the local commuity had called a couple of priests (1 catholic, the other church of england) who tried converting them to their respective sects of christianity in their stor (it would be funny if it wasnt serious).

In big cities, most of my friends dont even / cant even get work. even people I know who did their pre-reg's at big hospital trusts such as UCL hospitals (Including royal free and hammersmite) and Guys and Sts and GOSH had to leave within 2 years of passing their pre-reg due to lack of work beyond band 6.

The worst part about pharmacy is the pay and awkward hours. Pharmacy is the only health profession in the UK I can think of where the pay is constantly decreasing instead of being in line with inflation. The unions for pharmacy are a joke adn the hours a lot of people are expected to work are either 7am-4pm or (either 1 pm or 3 pm or 4pm)- 11pm or midnight and even those shifts are difficult to get due to the competition.

In terms of pay, due to the decline of the UK pound courtesy of the pro-brexit nutjobs and the idiot theresa mays hard brexit stance, Most Pharmacists in the UK ACTUALLY EARN LESS than pharmacy technicians in the USA. because you are algerian, any rights you may have had due to france may not be there in 2 years time so you coming over here may be risky.

My advice: study medicine in the UK if you can or work as a pharmacist in Saudi, UAE or Oman.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending