A Level Chemistry Question Help Watch

TomHibbs12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi - stuck on a chemistry question.

We are carrying out an acid-base titration in which the acid has been diluted using a standard solution. The question asks why you would then titrate with the alkali in the burette - and transfer the acid into a conical flask, instead of the other way round (with the alkali in a conical flask and acid in the burette)

Yep, I'm confused too. Thanks for any help.
Tom
Theo The Bold
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TomHibbs12)

We are carrying out an acid-base titration in which the acid has been diluted using a standard solution. The question asks why you would then titrate with the alkali in the burette - and transfer the acid into a conical flask, instead of the other way round (with the alkali in a conical flask and acid in the burette)

Tom
Now bear with me here as I'm also doing chemistry A-level at the moment

So what I think it is, is that you've got a set volume of your standard solution. Now a titration is used to see how much, in this case alkali, would need to be added to reach an end point and to do this you would add an excess of alkali. That is because you're trying to determine the concentration of alkali as you already know the concentration of your standard solution. So in short you don't know how much alkali you'd need to add to your standard solution to reach the end point.
shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TomHibbs12)

Tom
Typically you would add the standard solution to the conical flask ( acid) as you know both its volume and conc. Therefore we add alkali using the burette to measure total volume that neutralised the acid. TBH you can do it either way so I agree that its a confusing question.
TomHibbs12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for both answers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.58%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.88%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.06%

Watched Threads