Turn on thread page Beta

Todays music is rubbish watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else agree/disagree. I mean the mainstream music of today in my opinion lacks any sense of innovation or depth that it once did in previous decades. I think there is far more focus on artists social media image etc, rather than the quality of music. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    mainstream stuff will always be rubbish because of regression to the mean.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, mainstream music of the 90's/80's was about similar things minus the social media image, that's just pop music for you. Genres such as indie and rock still have a sense of innovation and depth now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
    Meh, mainstream music of the 90's/80's was about similar things minus the social media image, that's just pop music for you. Genres such as indie and rock still have a sense of innovation and depth now
    To me, pop music from the 90s and 80s sounds completely different to that of today.

ReputationRep:
    In the past the internet never existed and neither did a lot of electronic music. Nowadays music is made digitally and things like YouTube has allowed artists to have access to a huge audience. Artists then proceed to making music that is able to appeal to the biggest audience, which has made a bland, toned down music that we see in the radio. Music has been channeled to have less depth and more of a widespread audience. This can make big corporations and music record companies rich but the result is the lack of culture.

BUT

The biggest issue is that most people are just casual listeners anyway. We dont have hippies or rockers or anything like that and for a lot of ppl, music is something to enjoy on the train or while working. If you're really into music you'd seek out less known artists who make more left field and interesting music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h1347698)
    To me, pop music from the 90s and 80s sounds completely different to that of today.
    How come? I think lyrically there isn't much difference

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to find the trash music from the time though, so you get a biased sample . I assume there has always been a drivel of mainstream music, just nowadays with the internet and things this drivel is much more accessible and lasts longer.

Incidentally some of my favourite music sort of mocks mainstream music - Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the deaf goes into this as well as some of Porcupine Trees stuff
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Chart music has been rubbish for many years now I think.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You're viewing history through a quality filter. Only the good music stands the test of time, so it can look like the 60s and 70s had wall to wall hits but in reality they were saturated with 1 hit wonders and god awful tracks just like now.

ReputationRep:
    i think this is unfair. there are many modern pop performers who provide excellent entertainment. Susan Boyle has a wonderful voice and stage presence.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bob Seger said it best "Today's music ain't got the same soul"

ReputationRep:
    Not true. Check out all the contemporary jazz, classical and prog stuff being released every day.

ReputationRep:
    I partly disagree with that. I hate most mainstream music because it all sounds the same to me. There are some bands I do like (Muse, Kasabian, Billy Talent...). But if you start really searching for something good and off the beaten tracks, you actually find it - last year I accidentally discovered Yossarian (an English/Argentinian/Australian band) and absolutely love them.
    Besides there's nothing wrong with listening to classics - the Beatles will always be among the best to me

ReputationRep:
    Amen!

ReputationRep:
    It's all rubbish and designed around social media culture, none of its for the music. Indie music is good, there's some decent rock coming out, Jazz has been dead for awhile but that doesn't stop me! I used to love mainstream music before 2013, it's just become so awful, every time I partially like a mainstream song I'll see something on social media that just ruins it.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed,

Who can beat profound lyrics of the yesteryears such as

"she loves me, yeah yeah yeah; she loves me, yeah yeah yeah; she loves me, yeah yeah yeah yeah"

"love, love me do; you do I love you, I'll always be true, so ple-ea-ea-ease love me do"

"I want to hold your han-an-ands, I want to hold your han-an-ands, I want to hold your han-an-ands,"

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. In the 80s, they used to have the manufactured dance sound that sounded the same in all the songs and sounded totally fake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockwork_orange)
    I partly disagree with that. I hate most mainstream music because it all sounds the same to me. There are some bands I do like (Muse, Kasabian, Billy Talent...). But if you start really searching for something good and off the beaten tracks, you actually find it - last year I accidentally discovered Yossarian (an English/Argentinian/Australian band) and absolutely love them.
    Besides there's nothing wrong with listening to classics - the Beatles will always be among the best to me
    The Beatles's success is the reason why we have so many throwaway bubblegum pop music with a repetitive hook and repetitive lyrics about romantic love right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    The Beatles's success is the reason why we have so many throwaway bubblegum pop music with a repetitive hook and repetitive lyrics about romantic love right now.
    That's the case with the earlier albums. Not with the ones which came out towards the end of their career as a group like the White Album or Abbey Road. Also their musical style significantly evolved throughout their career - the style of the White Album or even of Revolver isn't at all the same as Please Please Me which is, I agree, quite repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    What I would say is that number one hits had profound meaning and real melodies. I dont think you see that much today.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.