Same UCAS code, different university? Confusion...

Watch
HeroinAddict
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I was browsing UCAS taking a look at similar courses in different Unis and I noticed that some of them had the same UCAS code, P313.

So I searched for the code and it came up with 21 different unis. The course length ranges from 8 months to 6 years (Granted it's part time.)

Here take a look at the search;

http://bit.ly/2lwXSAl
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HeroinAddict)
So I was browsing UCAS taking a look at similar courses in different Unis and I noticed that some of them had the same UCAS code, P313.

So I searched for the code and it came up with 21 different unis. The course length ranges from 8 months to 6 years (Granted it's part time.)

Similar codes per subject is normal practice
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

This is how it works. A100, for example, is your standard undergraduate medical course.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Totally okay.

Medicine courses all have a code A100 or A101 etc. Law is M100, Politics is L200. Etc etc.

Its the subject that is coded - all the actual courses will have a different content/approach at each individual Uni.
azizadil1998
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

What do you mean?

Courses have the same course code across different universities of course.

E.g. Economics is L100, Medicine is A100, etc

Not sure what the confusion is? I dont get your question. My guess is that the courses you have searched have similar names, but are for the same thing - the core/optional modules are probably the same, but have a look.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by azizadil1998)
the core/optional modules are probably the same.
University courses do not have a common syllabus (ie, like A levels) even if they are the same subject/code. Each course is totally different.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

"Officially" the codes now have no meaning and are not comparable between different universities i.e. the same code may be used for two different courses at two different universities. That wasn't always the case and therefore course codes tend broadly still to belong to related numbering families.

Course codes also migrate over time. If there is radical course reform the new course may be allocated a new code. Once the old course is phased out, only the new course code is left. Hence Durham's standard law degree is M101 and there is no M100 course.

P313 is being used for a series of different courses in film production. These are not different syllabuses for the same course. There are CertHE, HND, foundation degree, top up degree and standard undergraduate degree courses all bearing the code P313. Moreover, it is clear that the courses cover wholly different aspects of film.

UCAS codes are derived from, but are not the same as JACS codes which are used for the collecting of statistics about university courses. In JACS coding P313 simply means film production. For statistical purposes, if a university has five courses within film production, then all of these will be JACS coded P313. However UCAS must assign a unique code to each separate course being offered. It is likely that one of the courses will be assigned P313 but the rest will receive otherwise unused combinations of letters and numbers. For example UCLAN's film and TV post-production degree is coded P313, but its plain vanilla film production degree is coded WP6J and its independent film making degree is F3M6 which have no relevance to to JACS coding system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HeroinAddict
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
"Officially" the codes now have no meaning and are not comparable between different universities i.e. the same code may be used for two different courses at two different universities. That wasn't always the case and therefore course codes tend broadly still to belong to related numbering families.

Course codes also migrate over time. If there is radical course reform the new course may be allocated a new code. Once the old course is phased out, only the new course code is left. Hence Durham's standard law degree is M101 and there is no M100 course.

P313 is being used for a series of different courses in film production. These are not different syllabuses for the same course. There are CertHE, HND, foundation degree, top up degree and standard undergraduate degree courses all bearing the code P313. Moreover, it is clear that the courses cover wholly different aspects of film.

UCAS codes are derived from, but are not the same as JACS codes which are used for the collecting of statistics about university courses. In JACS coding P313 simply means film production. For statistical purposes, if a university has five courses within film production, then all of these will be JACS coded P313. However UCAS must assign a unique code to each separate course being offered. It is likely that one of the courses will be assigned P313 but the rest will receive otherwise unused combinations of letters and numbers. For example UCLAN's film and TV post-production degree is coded P313, but its plain vanilla film production degree is coded WP6J and its independent film making degree is F3M6 which have no relevance to to JACS coding system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best response yet! Thanks for clarifying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (479)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (590)
41.32%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (294)
20.59%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.55%

Watched Threads