Crankyla
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I started an Adult Nursing degree last September, but I'm taking an intermittance at the moment; I left uni about a month ago. I was really unhappy and struggling a lot with my placement. My friends and family could see that I wasn't happy, as could my mentors and they told me that they didn't think I'd be able to complete the course. I was struggling with the personal care, some of the paperwork and being on my feet for 12 hours. However, I was really happy to just sit and talk with some of the patients. My mentors could see that I enjoyed that.

I have joint hypermobility syndrome, so I get pain in my joints, and I got a back injury when I was about 11 when another kid kicked me in the back, and I've had problems with it ever since. Being on my feet for a long period of time without sitting is agony. I was crying after every shift, too, and losing a lot of sleep. Everyone could see I was extremely unhappy and miserable, so my mentors advised to step back from the course and decide if the course is right for me. As I said, they didn't think Nursing is right for me. They said that all the reasons why I wanted to be a nurse are there, they just didn't think that Nursing is the right way for me to express them, and told me not to abandon healthcare completely.

I have a few prospectuses from some of the universities I looked at, and noted down which courses interested me:

- Biomedical Science
- Crime & Investigative Studies
- English Language & Linguistics (Languages was my back-up option when I was in Sixth Form)
- Forensic Chemistry/Forensic Science
- Health & Social Care
- Midwifery
- Social Work
- Speech and Language Therapy

What are these courses like? Can anyone give me an insight? What sort of careers can I enter into from these courses, and which require further study? Which universities are you studying at, or which universities do you consider to be the best for these courses?

Tl;dr - I left my Nursing course because I was unhappy. What can you tell me about the above courses?

Thanks! x
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With any degree you will gain a load of transferable skills that you can take into pretty much anything that uses them. Things like biomed science will involve lab work which can also be physically tiring as can health and social care and midwifery. I think it's worth your getting some work or shadowing experience to work out what's best for you before you jump into something else that may not be suitable. BurstingBubbles does speech and language therapy so may have some insight to share.
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Crankyla

As alleycat said above - I'm in my final year of SaLT, so feel free to ask me questions on her or via PM
Crankyla
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am going to look into getting some shadowing in a month or so. My aunt is a nurse, my godmother worked in haematology before she retired and my sister has a friend who's a doctor and she said that she'd ask her friend where she did her work experience. So I will get some experience in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads