The Student Room Group

Album discussion

What was the last album you downloaded? Have you listened to it yet and if so what is it like?

What albums have you been enjoying most recently (5 max)?

How long has it been since you discovered a 10/10 album and what was it?

Just quote the questions and reply with your answers. Please try not to spam this thread with embedded YouTube videos.

Spoiler

Reply 1
OMG @RedManc is banned
Original post by zayn008
OMG @RedManc is banned

A shame. I just @'d the frequent music posters and the 'big hitters' of the music section.
Reply 3
What was the last album you downloaded?
Angles by The Strokes

Have you listened to it yet and if so what is it like?
Yes! Amazing, some of it was boring/not my type but the rest of it was great!!

Is This It by The Strokes
Bryter Layter by Nick Drake
Death of a bachelor by Panic at the disco
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Let's be Still by The Head and The Heart

I've know these albums for ages but they're easy 10/10!'s - Dookie by Green Day and Back to Black by Amy

My most recent 10/10 album is probably Death of a Bachelor by Panic.
(edited 7 years ago)
@Wilfred Little

Good thread!

What was the last album you downloaded? Have you listened to it yet and if so what is it like?

Human - Rag n Bone Man. Yet to listen properly!

Christine and the Queens: 'Chaleur Humaine'
Korn: The Serenity of Suffering (and you wouldn't know this was Korn)
Roy Orbison: Crying
Alexandre Tharaud: Autograph
The Jesus and Mary Chain: Automatic

Blackstar was 10/10 for me - but that's a real rarity. The last one before that was probably "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac

Original post by Wilfred Little

Just quote the questions and reply with your answers. Please try not to spam this thread with embedded YouTube videos.

Spoiler

1) I don't download music; I buy physical media. But the last CD I bought was Return To Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield. It sounds a lot like the original Ommadawn in style, but is a different piece of music. I really like it.

A little more recently I bought a few used vinyls but I've not listened to any of them yet. I got:
Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Mike Oldfield - Discovery
PhD - (Self titled?)
Alan Parsons Project - Vulture Culture

2) Recently I've been listening to quite a lot of Alcest's latest album (Kodama), Burzum's two final albums (the weird electronic ones that he didn't do in prison), Spunk Volcano and The Eruptions' EP and Saor's latest album (Guardians).

3) Probably Eðelland by Ildra which I first heard maybe two years ago, but didn't buy until October just gone.
Oh god. I haven't actually downloaded an album in a long time, most of my music listening has been done on Youtube and my "to download" list has probably surpassed 200 albums by now.

The last one I actually downloaded was To Lay Like Old Ashes, by Austere. Depressive Black Metal from Down Under, I can't remember much of it other than that I enjoyed it. But then, it's DSBM; of course I'd enjoy it :h:

At the moment I'm listening to Let It Burn, by Rezn. Good space-y doom with (I'm presuming) female vocals. I'm glad that female vocals have been breaking though into doom, I guess we've got Lori to thank for that.

Speaking of Lori, I've also been listening to a fair amount of Acid King lately, most recently I've been spinning III.

I was playing Heavy Relic's Lava Lamp quite a bit a few months ago, decent instrumental stoner rock from the UK can be really difficult to find considering that bands from pretty much any other country do it better, so it was refreshing to listen to something in that vein that came out of my own global backyard, or so to speak.

I really liked this album the first time I heard it, but I haven't listened to it in a while. I figured I'd put it here because it's as close to a 10/10 as you can be without actually being a 10/10, but it's a great album that is pretty much evil in the form of music. Parasignosis, by Mitochondrion, is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've listened to since venturing into LLN territory with Amaka Hahina. As someone who likes black metal and death metal, but doesn't listen to enough of what happens when you combine the two of them, I found this album a breath of fresh air after coming off a heavy stoner doom binge.

CURVEBALL! As someone who loves the Hieroglyphics collective, I will never not listen to this album (as my girlfriend found out when I stuck it on last week and refused to turn it off). '93 til Infinity is awesome.

I considered Heir To Scoria And Ash, by Mortichnia to be a strong contender for Album Of The Year (as far as black metal's concerned) last year. Everything about it just... fit. A truly consistently great album IMO.

Original post by Manitude
x

Both Guardians and Eðelland are fantastic. What did you think of Kodama? I've only listened to it in passing so far, haven't given it a thorough go yet.

Please try not to spam this thread with embedded YouTube videos.

Was that added for my benefit? :teehee:
Reply 7

I don't download music, but the last album I streamed was Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division yesterday. The last NEW album I streamed was Process by Sampha (which has been a bit overrated imo)

Priests - Nothing Natural
Wire - Pink Flag
Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now
Masego - Loose Thoughts
The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

I rate them out of 100 and a perfect score is extremely rare. RTJ3 was the most recent to get over 90 though. Nothing from 2017 has yet.
Loving these replies.

1) I don't download music, I always buy physical copies of albums - I must have at least 70 by now. The last one I got was Winterborn by Wolfheart :biggrin:
2) Yes, it's really good! The songs flow very well, I hardly notice the transitions. It never gets boring and I often listen through until the end :yep:
3) In no particular order:
We Are One by The Bloodline
Fallen Empire by Nyktophobia
Hail The Apocalypse by Avatar
Black Waltz by Avatar
Sagas by Equilibrium
4) It's probably been about a year or so. There are plenty of albums I enjoy, but often there will be at least one track which I don't really like. The last one I discovered was Sounds of a Playground Fading by In Flames :smile:
Original post by Drunk Punx

Both Guardians and Eðelland are fantastic. What did you think of Kodama? I've only listened to it in passing so far, haven't given it a thorough go yet.

I think it's a really solid album, quite comparable to Écailles de Lune, but with more 'progressive' elements like on Shelter. I think my favourite track is the title track. The harsh vocals are a welcome return for me, but they're not gratuitous, which I like. That said, Écailles de Lune pt 2 is splendid and doesn't hold back with them at all.

Also Guardians has yet to really grow on me properly. It feels a little less inspired than Andy's previous work and feels a bit like he's doing Saor-by-numbers. His Askival album still reigns supreme for me. As a friend of mine (who knows Andy a bit, I think) says, "If only Andy would admit it, Askvial's Eternity would be the best NSBM album ever".
(edited 7 years ago)
Endure and Survive (Infinite Entanglement pt. II) - Blaze Bayley

half way through it in my car - pretty solid album so far, but then I'm one of those who thinks his iron maiden albums (well, x- factor anyway; virtual xi was a bit naff) were actually alright.

can't beat the old classics - I've dug out:
Blizzard of Oz - Ozzy Osbourne
1916 - Motorhead
Leviathan - Mastodon

of late.

Probably Leviathan tbh as the last album that was top notch from start to finish - only came across mastodon around 2009 when they did crack the Skye (also a phenomenal album)
Death Cab For Cutie's Transatlanticism. Not my cup of tea but objectively a masterpiece.

It was Stormzy's Gang Signs & Prayer. A pretty big disappointment considering the hype and all that must have gone into it. There are like two or three above average tracks, a few contrived bits where Stormzy attempts to branch out and show he is not just a Grime MC which just fails hard and comes across as corny, not even the production can save it, and the rest is forgettable. Stevie Wonder he is not.

There is the new Mastodon record to get which I'm looking forward to hearing.

Blondie's Parallel Lines, Blur's Parklife, Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan and VU - Loaded.

****ing hell it's been ages. 10/10 for me means that there has to be nothing about the album I'd change and even though there are loads of records I love, that doesn't leave much. It was probably Sign O The Times and before that, I don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest