What should I do with a recent study epiphany I have had?

Watch
ann_kayy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am having a meltdown/life crisis right now...
I'm going to start from the beginning, If you can't be bothered to read all of it my actual questions are at the bottom

I chose subjects at GCSE for my a levels without any knowledge of what I wanted to do at university let alone my life. So now I am in my second year of a levels with subjects I don't particularly enjoy and do not REPEAT do not want to do at university (I should point out they are film, english lit and photography). I thought I had figured out what I wanted to do next year at uni which was law (still considering) but I am definitely taking a year out to make up my mind and also study an extra a level to keep my mind in tact. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep and what I really like doing is researching astronomy and the universe in general just because I love it so much and found out seven new planets have been discovered. I was so excited and then this is when I had my epiphany, Why have I never considered studying astronomy if i love it so much? I did research and it turns out you need maths and physics to study it at university. I do have the option to study these two subjects in an intensive course at a college but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it in the year alone. I am also afraid that what I am experiencing is going to be brief rather than a life time interest. I know that this is what makes me happy but I'm still confused as to what I should do?

My actual questions are:
1. Should I study maths and physics in an intensive 1 year course or is that far fetched and unachievable?
2.Should I follow my heart and do a subject I have no experience in other than self teaching?
3. Should I stick to what I know which is social sciences (history etc.) and do law at university which I am interested in but does not get me as excited?
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ann_kayy)
My actual questions are:
1. Should I study maths and physics in an intensive 1 year course or is that far fetched and unachievable?
2.Should I follow my heart and do a subject I have no experience in other than self teaching?
3. Should I stick to what I know which is social sciences (history etc.) and do law at university which I am interested in but does not get me as excited?
None of these. You should have a look at university courses in physics/physics with astronomy with a foundation/preliminary year. These are for people who didn't take the right subjects at A Level and the results from your assessments in that year can then be used to gain entry to the main degree at the same university or a different one.

The only real disadvantage of this is that you'll be charged a year's worth of tuition so if you change your mind you'll have used up your gift year of funding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed