The Student Room Group

Doing 4 A levels

Hello, I have a quick question! I am going to go back a year to do A levels. My college requires to take 4 ( we're allowed to drop one the second year).

I'll be doing A level Biology (OCR), A level Chemistry (OCR), A level Psychology (AQA) and possibly A level History (EDEXCEL,route C).

Can anybody tell me more about each subject please? And maybe tips on handling 4 A levels? At GCSE I was getting A's in Biology, B's in Chemistry, and I also ended up getting 1 mark off a B in English, and a C in Maths.I didn't do GCSE History however my college said they'll consider accepting me (I'm hoping they will as I enjoy History).

Everyone is telling me that i'll fail my A levels, and that really puts me down. I want to prove everybody wrong, because I know that everything is possible if I work hard, and I am really motivated for the next school year. Are these subjects really hard to do when they're put together? Is there anything you'd like to let me know about each subject and what to expect? any tips?

Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Rutexa
Hello, I have a quick question! I am going to go back a year to do A levels. My college requires to take 4 ( we're allowed to drop one the second year).

I'll be doing A level Biology (OCR), A level Chemistry (OCR), A level Psychology (AQA) and possibly A level History (EDEXCEL,route C).

Can anybody tell me more about each subject please? And maybe tips on handling 4 A levels? At GCSE I was getting A's in Biology, B's in Chemistry, and I also ended up getting 1 mark off a B in English, and a C in Maths.I didn't do GCSE History however my college said they'll consider accepting me (I'm hoping they will as I enjoy History).

Everyone is telling me that i'll fail my A levels, and that really puts me down. I want to prove everybody wrong, because I know that everything is possible if I work hard, and I am really motivated for the next school year. Are these subjects really hard to do when they're put together? Is there anything you'd like to let me know about each subject and what to expect? any tips?

Thank you!

I got a mixture of mainly A*s and As plus a B here and there at GCSE. So like you I chose to do 4 a levels (Maths Economics Physics and ICT). Doing 4 is a lot of work and is really quite difficult. I think i'm probably going to drop down to doing three simply because most unis produce their offers based on 3 grades so I don't see doing four as an advantage.

As far as your failing A levels goes, Its difficult now days to fail an exam but if you enjoy them then you should have no trouble putting the work in. Although word of advice if you haven't done history before it might be quite tough.
Hey, I do Biology, Psych and History (all AQA).
It's all about time management, organisation and looking at the content after every lesson to make sure you understand it, because otherwise it will become pain during exam time.

If you work hard, do past exam questions etc then you wont fail and obviously you want to prove people wrong so go and do it. :smile: Use it as your motivation,

Biology is more of a memory and application, so do a lot of past papers.

Psychology, honestly. It's the same as GCSE. Just remembering everything and answering the question. For A-levels its less so, aim method results and conclusion. It's ''procedure and results'' and theories, then evaluation. AS Level - You need to learn 3 Evaluation Points and A2- 4.
Because it goes from 12 markers to 16.

History - If you look at what you're going to study during your a-levels before you go back and have some knowledge then that will get you off to a good start. It's just essays and essays, so content is obviously important but perfecting how to answer an essay will get you the marks.
A couple of people didn't do GCSE History at my school, but they did it for Alevels and they're coping fine.

It'll be fine, just work hard and get those grades. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest