The Student Room Group

Downstairs bedroom?? Are they that bad??

I'm looking to move in September in the hope to make some new friends as this year I am in rubbish accommodation with rubbish flatmates!

However they are trying to sway me towards choosing a flat which is on the ground floor rather than the flat above which is over two floors.

Obviously it would mean that my bedroom would be on the ground floor so I'm just a bit worried about noise and people looking in.
I lived in ground floor flat with a bedroom overlooking a quiet cul-de-sac road. Was a bit weird, had to close the curtains a lot more than I would have liked. Definitely would have hated it if the road was busier as you could hear every conversation that walked by. Wouldn't recommend. Who's trying to sway you?
Reply 2
Original post by AmeliaLost
I lived in ground floor flat with a bedroom overlooking a quiet cul-de-sac road. Was a bit weird, had to close the curtains a lot more than I would have liked. Definitely would have hated it if the road was busier as you could hear every conversation that walked by. Wouldn't recommend. Who's trying to sway you?

The woman who works for the company that owns the buildings. There is a 5 bed on the ground floor with 2 tenants signed up already and a 7 bed flat above over two floors currently with no one signed up
Stick to your guns. I stayed on a ground floor flat one year and didn't like it. there was a bus stop right by my window and people were always looking in, plus the noise from traffic/people walking past was much worse than it was 1-2 floors higher. If she's trying to convince you bear in mind that they may not expect to fill the building and are worried about having an empty flat with only you in it or getting a booking for a larger group - so it is possible you end up sharing with a preestablished group or having a half empty flat.
Reply 4
Original post by daniellee0
I'm looking to move in September in the hope to make some new friends as this year I am in rubbish accommodation with rubbish flatmates!

However they are trying to sway me towards choosing a flat which is on the ground floor rather than the flat above which is over two floors.

Obviously it would mean that my bedroom would be on the ground floor so I'm just a bit worried about noise and people looking in.
So close the curtains and try to be quiet.
Original post by daniellee0

I wouldn't personally stay in a ground-floor flat. As well as the privacy issues which people have already pointed out, you will hear every single coming and going from the front entrance, and (not wishing to scare you) it's much easier to break into a ground-floor flat, for obvious reasons. They sound like they're trying to offload it a bit.
Ground floor flats are usually slightly cheaper, which is a plus, but I think that's to sway people towards choosing them...

I lived in a ground floor 2bed flat in my second year of uni; I had the smallest room and mould continuously grew around my window/behind my furniture because it was sooo damp :nooo: (if you go for a viewing beforehand, you'll likely be able to smell it!)

We had to have our heating on a lot because it was quite drafty, but higher-level flats benefit from the heat rising and so don't really need to as often (saving on the bills!). Plus, as above users stated, my whole flat used to shake every time someone slammed through the front door, and I didn't really ever open my curtains to avoid people peering in.

I had a ground floor bedroom in my third year house though, and that was lovely :h: just completely depends on the property!
You have to remember this will be your home for a year so you have to feel comfortable, choose the one you want
Reply 8
I've just been issued ground floor accommodation in halls, really don't want it due to security concerns (and to a lesser extent the experiences of several friends of cigarette smoke constantly drifting into the room!). Obviously in halls you can't choose what floor you're on, but I already know that I will feel seriously unsafe and uncomfortable there, not sure what to do, any ideas?
Original post by BeckaH2
I've just been issued ground floor accommodation in halls, really don't want it due to security concerns (and to a lesser extent the experiences of several friends of cigarette smoke constantly drifting into the room!). Obviously in halls you can't choose what floor you're on, but I already know that I will feel seriously unsafe and uncomfortable there, not sure what to do, any ideas?

You can ask your accommodation provider if there's any chance of swapping. You can also ask on your fresher facebook page if anyone would mind swapping, you never know, someone might be happy with it or have a room in a different building that they don't want or soemthing. But be prepared to have to decide whether you take the room or find something privately (and don't sign a contract or agree to anything if you're not sure as you'll be stuck in the contract).

TBH cigarette smoke can be just as bad if you're a bit higher and if you keep your window shut when you'renot in the room security shouldn't be a huge issue. So don't stress too much about it.

Quick Reply

Latest