The Student Room Group

Several "Goldilocks Zone" planets found. The end of "Fine Tuning"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFLICHBA
I do quite like the idea of travelling to these far-away star systems using robotics alone, but I am guessing that when we find somewhere hospitable humans will desperately want to go there to start a new civilisation.

I think you misunderstood my point. Humans (or at least, humans as we know them) won't exist.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Doesn't the fine tuning argument refer to the fundamental laws of physics rather than Earth's climatic conditions?

Wouldn't the goldilocks zone for a planet depend on atmospheric conditions? The Goldilocks zone is the range where water can exist in liquid form by the temperature range from the Star but water being in liquid form also depends on atmospheric pressure. I did an EPQ on a relevant topic but the only definition I found was that but I don't know whether it also includes a atmospheric pressure range that humans can live in.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I think you misunderstood my point. Humans (or at least, humans as we know them) won't exist.

We will develop all our off-switch technology to be superior to the AI. I don't see why we'd go extinct. Plus, a symbiote will probably be superior to any of us in our pure forms.
(edited 7 years ago)
We will develop all our off-switch technology to be superior to the AI.

Im not sure what you mean by 'off-switch technology'.

I don't see why we'd go extinct. Plus, a symbiote will probably be superior to any of us in our pure forms.

The reason we would go extinct would be that we would either integrate into technology, or get absorbed by it. Essentially, synthetic intelligence and humans would be indistinguishable.
Fine tuning was never really that credible, mere egotism ignoring statistics and basing itself off an irrelevantly small data set
Original post by Jammy Duel
Fine tuning was never really that credible, mere egotism ignoring statistics and basing itself off an irrelevantly small data set

But it rather sees God as an operator in a Universe not of His creation. It is view of God as tinkerer. If one says that God created time and matter, the laws of physics and the concept of life, it becomes rather trivial to say that he had to have a little push here and a little shove there to bring about a group of beings (or perhaps many groups of beings in different times and places) who had the capacity to worship Him.
Reply 26
@vikingninja the Goldilocks zone does not take into account the atmospheric or other conditions on the planet

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no reason to assume it can't, the mechanisms are functionally the same, and the idea that thought it unique to biology is nothing but pseudoscience.

Why is it pseudoscience? We know nothing about how consciousness works.Its probably more pseudoscience to assume that you can do the exact same thing with silicon as you can with carbon and water.The chemistry of life is unique and I see no reason to think that you can replicate those processes using silicon and some metal.The brain is like a computer but it's not exactly the same.Even if you can do it it won't be anytime soon.
Original post by Robby2312
Why is it pseudoscience? We know nothing about how consciousness works.Its probably more pseudoscience to assume that you can do the exact same thing with silicon as you can with carbon and water.The chemistry of life is unique and I see no reason to think that you can replicate those processes using silicon and some metal.The brain is like a computer but it's not exactly the same.Even if you can do it it won't be anytime soon.

Because at the very least, you could make a working virtual copy of a human brain.
Because at the very least, you could make a working virtual copy of a human brain.

You could make a virtual copy of the process of photosynthesis on a computer.That does not mean the computer is actually photosynthesising.You need chlorophyll to do that. I don't know.I don't think it's possible.But it's a bit much to say it's pseudoscience when we don't know so much about how the brain works.A human brain is complex and it's a bit much to say we can just replicate it.They should start smaller.We have computers that can do millions of calculations a second but none of them can think or show autonomous behaviour on even the level of a dog or a cat.A dog shows much more ability to think or self awareness than a computer ever has.And that's what I'm getting at computers can do calculations and whatever it's programmed to do but it lacks self awareness. I'm sceptical at any rate.
Given the unimaginable size of the universe and the sheer number of stars and planets it's inconceivable to think Earth is the only planet with life.
Very exciting news. I really hope we find advanced life out there somewhere soon, that would be truly monumental.
Original post by Vikingninja
Wouldn't the goldilocks zone for a planet depend on atmospheric conditions? The Goldilocks zone is the range where water can exist in liquid form by the temperature range from the Star but water being in liquid form also depends on atmospheric pressure. I did an EPQ on a relevant topic but the only definition I found was that but I don't know whether it also includes a atmospheric pressure range that humans can live in.

What he means is that the so called argument of fine tuning refers to the existence of the universe and it's ability to support life - not the existence of planet earth.
Would be cool if the life we discovered were so advanced that they were like robots.

They'd surpassed their biological existence and were at the stage where they just upload their minds to computers. Imagine just being able to download any information and you're instantly an expert in that area :K:
You could make a virtual copy of the process of photosynthesis on a computer.That does not mean the computer is actually photosynthesising.You need chlorophyll to do that. I don't know.I don't think it's possible.

And if you cannot distinguish whether the virtual brain is conscious or not? Saying that the sythnetic brain is not conscious because it is virtual, is the same as saying another human isn't conscious because it's not you.

But it's a bit much to say it's pseudoscience when we don't know so much about how the brain works.A human brain is complex and it's a bit much to say we can just replicate it.

This is the pseudoscience, this idea that the brain is some unbreakable mystery. We actually know a great deal about the brain on a mechanical level, the issue comes from the sheer volume of ongoing processes, not the complexity of them.

They should start smaller.We have computers that can do millions of calculations a second but none of them can think or show autonomous behaviour on even the level of a dog or a cat.A dog shows much more ability to think or self awareness than a computer ever has.And that's what I'm getting at computers can do calculations and whatever it's programmed to do but it lacks self awareness. I'm sceptical at any rate.

Of course they should start smaller, and realistically you don't even need to simulate a human brain to achieve self-awareness. That's just a way of demonstrating consciousness can be achieved at the very least, by mimicking biological consciousnesses.

There is nothing particularly special about the biology of neural networks, our self-awareness doesnt come from anything biological, but its rather an emergent property of the networks themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending