NathanD_97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, it's my first post here and I'm not too sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

Anyway, I'm not too sure if it's worth studying Music at University. This is definetely a career that I want to follow, I've wanted to be a working musician for as long as I can remember, but what opportunities are on offer for uni graduates? I'm finishing up my Level 3 Diploma and I am able to teach guitar. I have also had auditions for function gigs. Presumably I could work for The Birmingham Music Service too, once my gradings are sorted out. So what exactly are the benefits of studying Music at uni? I'd love to go but I'm really struggling to see the benefits as I am able to work in this field without a Degree.

Thanks guys
Jwmusic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Man, it's up to you. I'm a guitarist too, classically trained since I was 4, taught my self electric and currently teach, work in shows and stuff as well as being musician for higher for various singers and ensembles etc. I'm leaving school this year and am in the same predicament, I've looked all over the country etc and I'm very fortinut to now many great pro musicians as friends including various professors. Greatest advice I've had came from an amazing bassist who did jazz at the royal academy. He said frankly it depends what corse you want to do, if you want to teach then naturally degree is the only way, it also helps get your foot in the door for the west end for instance and high level elitist ensembles, BBC pops orchestra for example use the London schools as there recruiting grounds. The main thing to weight up though is the people you will meet, its all about who you know and who has your name, that's what gets you gigs, not what you know it's who you know. I've decided to audition for some of the London ones, mainly wanting to do jazz a guildhall though. My advice from talking to people would be think what you want to do and then go from there, I know as my dad works for the music service that if your good enough and have your diploma (I'm doing mine this year) then the service should take you, a degree would make it a dead cert though.
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya!

I'm currently applying for music at university and hold offers from 4 top UK universities. First, look at courses that accept a Level 3 Diploma. You should consider taking the A-level course as it will open up more academic courses at university (I assume that is what you mean by 'university')?

Alternatively, if your performance is good enough you could apply to conservatoire (eg Royal Academy, Royal College, Royal Northern College, LIPA etc). I personally didn't choose this option as I'm not Grade 8 Distinction and only picked up my main instrument relatively late (age 11/12) but it could be an option for you, especially if you are looking at the less competitive conservatoire (there are loads more than Royal Academy and RCM!!).

You could also look at some access/vocational courses or foundation years which would be better suited to BTEC/Level 3 Diploma/things other than A levels. Or you could look into getting placements, if practical work is what you're after.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (3)
11.54%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (8)
30.77%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
7.69%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (2)
7.69%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (0)
0%
I think it's an unfair expectation (10)
38.46%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
3.85%

Watched Threads