lucyyyH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So my dream is to study musical theatre at bird college. I LOVE the look of it so much it just seems like the perfect course for me as it has a strong emphasis on dance. Similarly I also like the look of italia conti and Laine theatre arts. Urdang terrifies me a bit too much ! However I haven't done a lot of ballet. I do modern, jazz and contemporary and have previously done hiphop / commercial to a fairly high level but I am not a ballet dancer what so ever. I completed a few grades when I was younger but I never got on pointe. Will this hinder me in gaining a place? I am most proficient in singing but I can see myself needing to have a degree with a lot of dance as I would like at least some of my career to be teaching exercise / fitness dance classes and children's dance. Other drama schools with more of an acting focus wouldn't suit me I feel but I'm unsure if they are all I'm good enough for . How much does ballet come into the audition / decision making process ?
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One of my friends who studied MT at Conti was in a similar situation - really good at tap, jazz and modern but a really average musical-theatre level of ballet. Good singer and okay actor too. They understand everyone isn't going to be a triple threat! So long as you can demonstrate skill in other areas and the aptitude to learn I don't think they'll have a problem. It's not like you're applying to a ballet only programme after all.

As usual though, if you're very concerned try and get on the phone to one of the admissions people who should be able to give you specific advice about the college's preference.

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (60)
65.22%
I don't have everything I need (32)
34.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed