Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions. I know nothing about them but going to uni and am thinking about buying one.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I've recently got a part-time job and I'm not sure whether to buy a laptop or spend the money on university tuition fees.

Having looked into this myself, there's some great laptops at PC World. They also have one for £599 which is great value for money. They'd be ideal for university courses and people at Essex University have recommended that I buy one.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t9045.html -it's not too outdated and there are lots of suggestions as to different laptops and places to buy etc- might be worth a quick look and see if there's anything that's of interest...

www.novatech.co.uk does some quite cheap computer related stuff...depends whether you catch a bargain I suppose...am currently using a laptop bought from there- very nice -but don't know how much it was (iks me dad's business machine!)

Anyway- have a browse online and do some price-comparing! I'm not sure if it's 'kelkoo' or something like that that does a search for cheapest prices or whatever?!

Anyway- am sure you'll find something somewhere

Egan

ReputationRep:
    I'd have a look at the PC World website - you can get some good deals there that aren't available in their shops. I got my laptop from them and haven't ahd any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppy)
    Any suggestions. I know nothing about them but going to uni and am thinking about buying one.
    I'd look at Evesham (http://www.evesham.co.uk).

They are the only laptop supplier I've found which gives a student discount (5%, which is quite high when you're talking about expensive things like laptops). Their prices are also very competitive irrespective of the discount offered.

Their aftersales support is supposed to be the best in the business. The importance of good aftersales support is an often underestimated factor when people are buying computer equipment; what if your hard disk/processor etc. fails whilst you're in the middle of working on an important piece of coursework? You want the minimum inconvenience possible and your laptop returned in working order as soon as possible. Well, I've researched companies such as Dell and Sony and have heard how it can take up to 2/3 weeks for your Dell or Sony laptop to even be collected for repair, whereas in every case I came across Evesham had the machines picked up, repaired and turned around within 2/3 days.

They are also well-built and solid machines (I've used Evesham in the past and always been impressed by their build quality and the quality of components used).

Depending on what specifications you're after (and how much you're willing to pay), I'd recommend for students their 4800 or 5700 series at the lower end, and their 5800 or 5900 series at the higher end.

Good luck and think carefully about your decision before parting with your cash!

ReputationRep:
    My computer's from Evesham and I've had nothing but problems. A few months after I brought it, it stopped working completely - I'd turn the power on and nothing would happen. We called the helpline and they said they'd send an engineer over next Thursday. Anyway, when Thursday came, we got a phone call from the engineer saying that he couldn't make it and he'd be another week. This engineer was from Africa and could barely speak English.

Anyway, a week later, he looked at my computer, fitted some new stuff and said it should be fine. A few weeks later, the same problem occured. We called Evesham AGAIN who sent the 'same' engineer round to repair it a few weeks later. He seemed annoyed when he came round and said "what's the problem this time?" The problem was eventually fixed, but I've still had loads of other problems occur since.

:mad: @ Evesham

ReputationRep:
    I had an evesham for 3 years or so (not using it now though) and had no problems whatsoever. I would reccomend going for a company with good aftersales support such as Dell or Evesham when buying a laptop as they can be very difficult to fix otherwise. Form what i have heard i would not buy from Time or PCWorld as there support is supposed to be not too good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    My computer's from Evesham and I've had nothing but problems. A few months after I brought it, it stopped working completely - I'd turn the power on and nothing would happen. We called the helpline and they said they'd send an engineer over next Thursday. Anyway, when Thursday came, we got a phone call from the engineer saying that he couldn't make it and he'd be another week. This engineer was from Africa and could barely speak English.

Anyway, a week later, he looked at my computer, fitted some new stuff and said it should be fine. A few weeks later, the same problem occured. We called Evesham AGAIN who sent the 'same' engineer round to repair it a few weeks later. He seemed annoyed when he came round and said "what's the problem this time?" The problem was eventually fixed, but I've still had loads of other problems occur since.

:mad: @ Evesham
    Hmm... I'm sorry to hear it . Maybe I've been lucky when I've used them, or maybe your experience was a once off.

Buying a computer is one of the most difficult consumer decisions you can be faced with as every supplier has their fair share of horror stories, so I think in the end you just have to go with the one which seems the best at the time (using magazine reviews etc.) and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Buying a computer is one of the most difficult consumer decisions you can be faced with as every supplier has their fair share of horror stories, so I think in the end you just have to go with the one which seems the best at the time (using magazine reviews etc.) and hope for the best.
    Or build your own (obviously desktops only) .

toys 'r' us av the best laptop deal in the country right now

I was thinkin of gettin a laptop - changed my mind now. If u want the latest and best - look at www.cnet.com (notebook section), Its got some top laptops there - however many are only available from america. I worked out it could be a little cheaper gettin it from america too - Includin the cost of shipping and customs charges. U will have to buy it from american online retailers. However u may want to c if the warranty is transferrable to the UK too (not sure about that) and possibly if the laptop is available in the UK.

I personally would want to go for a latest laptop, thats very thin and light - has atleast 15 inch widescreen, and centrino cpu and looks stylish.

Heres the link to cnet..

http://reviews.cnet.com/Notebooks/20...g=cnetfd.glnav

Don't buy Time or Tiny; Guaranteed problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Don't buy Time or Tiny; Guaranteed problems.
    I've had a Tiny PC now for 7 years (its a P166) and it has never given me any problems except the usual windows 'Illegal operation' that happens from time to time, which is not tiny's fault. Maybe they have changed since then.

Talking about laptops, what is so special about an intel centrino chip? There's a deal in PC world thats really expensive for a crappy 1.5 GHz but its centrino, so whats so good that it costs so much?

ReputationRep:
    to qualify for centrino, it has to have a intel wifi chip in built

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    to qualify for centrino, it has to have a intel wifi chip in built
    What's so special about that?

ReputationRep:
    its intel trying to flog their wifi chip with the name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    its intel trying to flog their wifi chip with the name
    Im just asking what functional difference does it have from a pentium chip (a twice as powerful processor cost half the price, so I'm deciding whether to invest in this technology).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Im just asking what functional difference does it have from a pentium chip (a twice as powerful processor cost half the price, so I'm deciding whether to invest in this technology).
    im not sure, leekey will no, but i think the centrino is just the wifi part, completly separate from the pentium.cleron etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Its supposted to be much more power efficiant, hence you might actually be able to use it for more than 2 hours on batteries. Don't really know much about it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    im not sure, leekey will no, but i think the centrino is just the wifi part, completly separate from the pentium.cleron etc
    Intel Centrino is just Intel's latest offering to the mobile PC market.

What's actually called Centrino is actually a collection of three main components, on which Centrino-based laptops are built on. These include:

The Intel Pentium M Processor:

The Intel Pentium M processor is available at speeds of up to 1.70 GHz, and includes performance enhancements for faster execution of instructions at lower power, thus providing longer battery lives.

The Intel 855 Chipset Family:

A special chipset family, which has been optimised for the low-power Intel Pentium M processor and also has optional integrated graphics capabilities (integrated graphics will give you a lighter and less power-hungry laptop, but not so good for the games/graphics applications).

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection:

As mentioned by Ollie, the Centrino also has a built-in WLAN (Wireless LAN) solution.

These three components are what define a Centrino-based laptop, and provide a portable, light and sleek laptop, which has comparatively high battery lives and integrated WLAN capabilities. Good for people on the move.

I hope this helps,

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.