The Student Room Group

How early is everyone revising for GCSEs and how to keep motivated?

GCSEs are getting closer and closer and I am honestly frightened by the thought of having my first exam in a couple of weeks so I was wondering how early is too early for revision and also most of all - how should we keep motivated to revise?
Original post by IQlizard
GCSEs are getting closer and closer and I am honestly frightened by the thought of having my first exam in a couple of weeks so I was wondering how early is too early for revision and also most of all - how should we keep motivated to revise?

first rule i've learnt the hard way:
ITS NEVER TOO EARLY!!!!
i used to start revising then see nobody else was revising so i would stop then by the time it came to exams everybody started revising and it was much harder for me to get back into it. just start as soon as possible.
also for motivation find something like a reward you'll recieve either at the end of a revision session [which is more manageable] or at the end of june.
whats keeping me going is constantly seeing and remembering the previous yr11's who have passed with very, very impressive grades, i usually just remind myself that they didnt get those grades by sitting on youtube and that would usually motivate me. also talking to them and asking for advice helps
I don't think now is too early for revision. I've started: slowly, but I've started, this week. I've been going over notes, looking at the revision guides, making brief notes of my own. The motivation for me is the prospect of getting good grades. I know my targets and I know I want to achieve them. The main problem for me is procrastination. I've removed distractions from my workspace, and made it as productive as possible.

At the end of the day, you've got to do what's right for you. You may find everything I said above to be totally wrong for you - and that's fine. Ultimately it's up to you to decide how, when, and what to revise. That's just my opinion on the matter. Good luck:smile:
I don't think there's any such thing as revising too early but bear in mind that you probably won't remember what you've revised now in May. Now's probably a good time to start, but try not to stress out too much.
I've started making my own notes in the "main" subjects (Sciences, English Maths). I've done maybe 1 and a half to 2 hours a night since the half term of note making (with frequent breaks). My idea is to familiarize myself with all the content, not necessarily commit it all to memory, and then in March/April time my plan is to make revision cards for each topic which refer to my notes. I'm also going to start doing some past exam papers (particularly in maths, my weakest subject) around late march/april time as well when I've covered the content once, that way I can easily see where I need to practice.
Almost finished making notes in the sciences, Ive been regularly doing papers and looking at my maths revision practice textbook, English Im naturally good at but still I try to find English Lang questions online and answer them so I don't get rusty. RE I just brought the CGP guide and gonna regurgitate the quotes and points in the exam.. The rest of my subjects are just artistic ones which I dont give a crap about and Im dropping ASAP at A-Level.
Original post by Avarti
I've started making my own notes in the "main" subjects (Sciences, English Maths). I've done maybe 1 and a half to 2 hours a night since the half term of note making (with frequent breaks). My idea is to familiarize myself with all the content, not necessarily commit it all to memory, and then in March/April time my plan is to make revision cards for each topic which refer to my notes. I'm also going to start doing some past exam papers (particularly in maths, my weakest subject) around late march/april time as well when I've covered the content once, that way I can easily see where I need to practice.

I've basically done this Im treating my mocks next week exactly like the real thing and making all sorts of notes and doing past papers and using revision guides. Im hoping that by June or May Ill have less stess than everyone else because I've already prepared my revision materials.

Quick Reply

Latest