Should I do Criminal/Forensic Psychology or a general Psychology course?

Watch
saffarinda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

So I want to do Criminal/Forensic Psychology in the future, and I was wondering whether I should do a more specific Criminal/Psychology course at University (displaying to any employers that I've had a passion for that specific field for quite some time) or a general BSc/MA Psychology course (keeping my options open for the future).

Does the difference in courses have any impact upon employers decisions to hire you?

Thank you to anyone who replies!
_Sinnie_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Within Psychology it should not make any difference, provided the course is BPS accredited. The differences between the course and a straight Psychology one will be negligible (as the BPS requirements take up most of the course any way).

Equally, there is no real need to do a more specific course, but it won't hurt if you are set on a particular career path.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The main difference in course content will be in the third year optional modules you get to choose from - for many general psychology degrees you may not have the option to study much forensic/criminal psychology.

I think there is a slight danger that criminal psychology doesn't look as good on a CV for a generic graduate job, not sure how true this is.

Another thing to consider is that at 17 you may well change your mind about what you want to do when you graduate (or you may find that you want to follow a different aspect of psychology).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads