Higher Maths Decision Advice would be Appreciated.

Watch this thread
Purple_Skittle
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!
I am currently an S5 student considering Higher Maths as a subject choice for next year (S6).
I achieved a C at Nat 5 Maths last year however I found it quite difficult and so I decided not to resit or take Higher Maths this year. However, I have recently been looking into university courses and career options and have realised that I may be interested in studying a science-related course. Despite being interested in the arts as well, I have come to the conclusion that Higher Maths may be a good decision in terms of keeping my options open.

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to take Higher Maths in S6 after not studying any maths in S5. If anyone has any advice on how to prepare for the course or any indication of the jump from Nat 5 to Higher it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
leoq8
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I feel that many science courses from decent uni's most likely won't even consider your application if you don't have Higher Maths. I did Higher Maths for a while but then dropped it and the jump is MASSIVE, you will definitely struggle if you only achieved a C at Nat 5.

I'd say reconsider your aspirations in terms of what degree you'd like to study - I doubt you'd get into science courses but I am not an expert and I don't know your other grades so idk.

Best of luck!
Purple_Skittle
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by leoq8)
Hey,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I feel that many science courses from decent uni's most likely won't even consider your application if you don't have Higher Maths. I did Higher Maths for a while but then dropped it and the jump is MASSIVE, you will definitely struggle if you only achieved a C at Nat 5.

I'd say reconsider your aspirations in terms of what degree you'd like to study - I doubt you'd get into science courses but I am not an expert and I don't know your other grades so idk.

Best of luck!
Thanks for being realistic. I have spoken to people who are currently studying Higher Maths and it seems to vary from person to person in terms of how hard they've found it in comparison to Nat 5.
Puppo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Purple_Skittle)
Hello!
I am currently an S5 student considering Higher Maths as a subject choice for next year (S6).
I achieved a C at Nat 5 Maths last year however I found it quite difficult and so I decided not to resit or take Higher Maths this year. However, I have recently been looking into university courses and career options and have realised that I may be interested in studying a science-related course. Despite being interested in the arts as well, I have come to the conclusion that Higher Maths may be a good decision in terms of keeping my options open.

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to take Higher Maths in S6 after not studying any maths in S5. If anyone has any advice on how to prepare for the course or any indication of the jump from Nat 5 to Higher it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Hello, I am in S5 studying higher maths and I am not a fan. However, I have been very lax with my studying and so I am paying the price haha. I got an A at N5 last year and I find it difficult. That being said, if you do enough practice questions, you find that question styles repeat. I am applying for medicine (science course) and
maths is not a requirement. The jump from N5 to higher is high for me but if you do enough questions and nail application type questions it should be okay. (AND START STUDYING IN AUGUST, DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE).

The following are what unis want from maths for medicine (other science courses may be similar so this gives you an idea but you must check your specific course).
Glasgow says: Higher grades must include Chemistry and Biology, and either Maths or Physics.
Edin says: to include Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics.
Aberdeen says: Chemistry must be taken and two subjects are required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths, Physics
Dundee says: to include chemistry and another science subject (from biology, physics or mathematics).

So, you can see that for med, higher maths isn't required but you need maybe 2 out of 3 subjects and maths might be one of the 3, the others usually being bio and physics. This may not apply to all science courses. However, most of the unis for med require N5 maths at grade B minimum, so check this too as it will probably be the same for you.
If you are still stuck, email the unis and talk to your careers advisor.
Good luck.
ElasticJane
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If I were you, I'd go over Nat5 course content and practice Nat5 level questions once your other exams are done (e.g during Summer), as Higher is basically an extension of Nat5, and thus requires a decent knowledge of the Nat5 course. It's definitely possible though if you put the work in early. I know people who went from N5 Cs to Higher As, and even still a B/C at Higher is still good.
scotlandishtube
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I am studying higher maths and find it comes down to one thing:

Understanding the concepts.

This means that for each topic you will get a good mark if you actually understand where the "ideas" or formulae are coming from.
My test for seeing if you are capable of doing a subject is simple - look at a past paper and see if you can possibly imagine yourself being able to write something along the lines of whats written in the answer scheme.

I would strongly recommend spending lots of time revising over parabolas if you are intending to do higher as knowledge of what each term means in the parabola will apply to many MANY Topics in higher (Circle, Differentiation, Integration, Optimisation).

If you intend to do higher I find the hardest parts to be:
Optimisation, Vectors

The easier parts of the course:
Trigonometry , straight line, circle

NB: got an A last year and A in prelim this year for Higher, one of my friends failed national 5 (got less than a D) and is on track for a B at higher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed