Sophie.cerys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing an essay on this but am really struggling to find information on it... can anyone help?
I'm talking about how climate change is impacting world vegetation, so need to know as much on this as possible.

I also need information on Saltwater Intrusion.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sophie.cerys)
I'm doing an essay on this but am really struggling to find information on it... can anyone help?
I'm talking about how climate change is impacting world vegetation, so need to know as much on this as possible.

I also need information on Saltwater Intrusion.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Sophie.cerys,

Are you looking for information on the effects of climate change or rising sea levels on world vegetation, or both?

In terms of climate change, you could talk about changes to wind circulation, rainfall patterns, and the distribution of biomes (with a focus on vegetation), as all of these have an effect on the distribution of different types of vegetation around the world.

For sea level rise, you could talk about the impacts of coastal flooding on vegetation, plus saltwater intrusion like you mentioned. Saltwater intrusion occurs in coastal areas where buoyant fresh water in an aquifer forms a lens floating on top of more dense salt water. Processes such as groundwater abstraction can disturb the freshwater-saltwater interface, allowing the saltwater to enter the aquifer and turn the water brackish (saline).

One example of where rising sea level is impacting on vegetation is on the island nation of Tuvalu - the islands are very low-lying and rising sea levels, leading to flooding and saltwater intrusion, are causing major problems for Tuvalu's agriculture. This may be worth looking into?

I hope that helps
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Leviathan1741's asked the climate change question. Mine is what do you mean by world vegetation? Are you referring to terrestrial habitats and agriculture or do you need to talk about aquatic vegetation as well?

Terrestrial would concern changes in global currents like the Gulf of Mexico altering regional climates, islands becoming submerged etc.

Aquatic you'd also be talking about chemical contamination, altering of oceanic pH levels and temperatures affecting plant and animal (in the ocean they get a bit mixed) reproduciton.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads