The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Halls and Accommodation 2017

If you're at Queen Mary now, what halls are/were you in? Did you like them? And if you're applying for entry this year, which halls do you think you want and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think i might apply for the pooley house accommodation because even thought it's like £145, it has an en suite and seems the best for your money along with a private bathroom and a big kitchen!!! if i change my mind on shared bathrooms i might go for the cheaper ones but i am a hygiene freak ://
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by leahwyd
i think i might apply for the pooley house accommodation because even thought it's like £145, it has an en suite and seems the best for your money along with a private bathroom and a big kitchen!!! if i change my mind on shared bathrooms i might go for the cheaper ones but i am a hygiene freak ://

Those are the ones I'm applying for! Basically for the exact same reasons as you, I really want en suite and they seem like the best value for money.
I have no idea which to apply for! No matter what I'm going to have to come up with £1000+ to cover it
Reply 4
Original post by Nellwatson12
I have no idea which to apply for! No matter what I'm going to have to come up with £1000+ to cover it

How come?? You get £5479 loan regardless of parental income, and that covers most of the rent, I'll only be like £200 out I think
Original post by hrmpurser
How come?? You get £5479 loan regardless of parental income, and that covers most of the rent, I'll only be like £200 out I think

But then my loan will also have to go towards food and whatnot
Reply 6
But then my loan will also have to go towards food and whatnot

That's a good point, I'm just saving up from my job atm and then I'm getting a full time thing in the summer for more money, and my parents said theyd help a bit too
Reply 7
I'm a first year here at QM- the actual uni halls are generally okay. Whatever you do don't go into Unite or Scape- prices are ridiculous for what you get. You might as well rent a room from a landlord (there's a page on the QM website guiding you about residences and where to look). The prices are generally lower than private halls if you can't get into uni accommodation.
The way it works is you apply for either economy, standard or deluxe (I think there is also the choice of economy with shared bathroom). The difference between the two really is not a lot- however if you're not big on flat parties I'd go with either standard or deluxe as they have smaller (5 people per flat) flats (+ larger living space). However economy gets own en suite and all the same stuff as standard so I'd place that as my first option.
I'm in Creed now which is standard price (I think about 155 a week?). Honestly okay, the kitchens feel very much like a hostel and everything feels really industrial, same for deluxe too so don't expect anything fancy.
Only thing about Creed is that if you're unlucky enough to be facing the court yard it's a little bit like a panopticon in that everyone can see into your room at all times unless you have the window closed. Very dystopian.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by endinael
I'm a first year here at QM- the actual uni halls are generally okay. Whatever you do don't go into Unite or Scape- prices are ridiculous for what you get. You might as well rent a room from a landlord (there's a page on the QM website guiding you about residences and where to look). The prices are generally lower than private halls if you can't get into uni accomodation.
The way it works is you apply for either economy, standard or deluxe (I think there is also the choice of economy with shard bathroom). The difference between the two really is not a lot- however if you're not big on flat parties I'd go with either standard or deluxe as they have smaller (5 people per flat) flats (+ larger living space). However economy gets own en suite and all the same stuff as standard so I'd place that as my first option.
I'm in Creed now which is standard price (I think about 155 a week?). Honestly okay, the kitchens feel very much like a hostel and everything feels really industrial, same for deluxe too so don't expect anything fancy.
Only thing about Creed is that if you're unlucky enough to be facing the court yard it's a little bit like a panopticon in that everyone can see into your room at all times unless you have the window closed. Very dystopian.

So go for economy if you like more people in a flat?
Reply 9

Yeah I think so, they have 9-10 people in each flat. It sounds like a lot but the kitchens are twice the size so there are 2 ovens and 2 hobs etc and a much larger table. I've just applied for single en-suite economy wooo :smile:
Yeah I think so, they have 9-10 people in each flat. It sounds like a lot but the kitchens are twice the size so there are 2 ovens and 2 hobs etc and a much larger table. I've just applied for single en-suite economy wooo :smile:

So did I, I would much rather have a larger flat than only 4/5 people!
Reply 11
So did I, I would much rather have a larger flat than only 4/5 people!

me too, and the kitchen in the 4/5 people flats looked pretty cramped. also more likely to make friends with people in larger flats
me too, and the kitchen in the 4/5 people flats looked pretty cramped. also more likely to make friends with people in larger flats

I wish we could specifically choose which accommodation we want. I'd rather Pooley than Fielden
Reply 13
I wish we could specifically choose which accommodation we want. I'd rather Pooley than Fielden

honestly i don't really mind but yeah i do too, then at least you could pick the one you really liked. what are you studying again?
I've got an offer for Medicine and I'd like an ensuite room but unfortuantely, i think ive only got the choices of dawson and floyer, both of which don't have ensuite rooms :frown: I really hate bathrooms which are unhygeinic and it would suck to have flatmates who don't take care of their mess.
Reply 15
Original post by k_popper
I've got an offer for Medicine and I'd like an ensuite room but unfortuantely, i think ive only got the choices of dawson and floyer, both of which don't have ensuite rooms :frown: I really hate bathrooms which are unhygeinic and it would suck to have flatmates who don't take care of their mess.

How come?? Is medicine on a different campus?

Yeah if you're big on flat parties and seeing people all the time then economy is the one for you. It's great for freshers too as you can just wander into your kitchen and make friends!

Hey!

For standard the kitchen size is much better than economy- just in case you're into cooking (I find the kitchen size here in standard amazing!)
Really the kitchen sizes for economy are pretty poor because you get the same size table as and only a couple extra work tops than standard but double the amount of people in the flat.
but if you're not cooking a meal every night and eating in your room you won't have a problem.
How come?? Is medicine on a different campus?

Medicine is mostly on Whitechapel campus from what I gathered although we do occasionally get some sessions in Mile Ends and West Smithsfield. I still wish Med students could stay in other halls. They sound better bc ensuite :frown:
Reply 19
Is there anywhere that discusses the different residences in more detail? I see there are halls listed under Mile End and others under Westfield Student Village, what is the difference? Are the Westfield Student Village all together? Someone mentioned that you don't get to request a specific hall so perhaps it doesn't matter but I would still like to know. If anyone knows anything about the individual residence, I would love to hear your opinions on what they are like and best locations etc. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending