Turn on thread page Beta

A-level Uniforms watch

Announcements

In lower school we had to wear a grey pleated skirt, a white blouse and a red v neck jumper with 2 grey stripes round the neck. We also had a blazer which they were very strict about, overcoats weren't allowed in summer, in winter they had to be black with no labels, or the school duffel coat. Socks had to be black or grey in winter, and white in summer, knee length in winter and ankle or knee length in summer. You could also wear tights, only in red (looked awful) black or white. We would also have our skirts measured when we were kneeling down, if they were more than 2 inches we would be sent to the head of year for a detention and made to get a new skirt.
    At the beginning of my 6th form, the dress code was smart office wear, we all had to have a suit, but not wear it every day. Then a new 6th form director was appointed and she's changing the dress code, last year they all had to wear a suit everyday, and this year, the year my sister starts A levels, they have to have a black or grey suit, with red, black, grey or white shirts/tops every day, no low cut tops, and jackets to be worn at all times.

In years 7-11 girls wear Gordon tartan kilt. In the sixth form they wear dress Gordon kilt which has a white background instead of dark blue. The sixth form uniform is seen as a 'right of passage' and the girls look forward to getting their 6th form kilt. Boys wear navy blazer and grey trousers until 6th form when they go into charcoal grey suit. Girls did rebel once and said they wanted to wear trousers so governors said they could but would have to be Gordon tartan trews!!! End of rebellion.

ReputationRep:
    i think my school 6th form would have shut if we had to wear a uniform. in the 12th year they started out trying to be really liberal saying we could "express ourselves as individuals" they regretted that when lots of the blokes exploited that and started turing up to school in homemade purple and lime green furry trousers (had to be seen to be believed) and mohicans. in the 13th year the school changed head and he wanted to bring back a bit of order, our year were past controlling on dress and when they tried to ban things like big fcuk logos and huge trousers they just had lots of protests. sadly for the year below they've now lost lots of the freedoms we had like they've now got to go to both afternoon and mourning registration, whereas we all just went home if we had frees in the afternoon. clothes wise, it's still much more liberal than other schools and theres none of this suit wearing lark but the've got less freedom than we had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    God that is so petty!!!

We had a grey check kilt thing, which in year 10 you were allowed a straight skirt of the same design, white blouse (girls had an open neck blouse - we didn't have to wear a tie) and a grey v-neck jumper with gold and black around the neck. We could wear any colour tights (though people stuck to black in winter or colourless in summer cos navy didn't really go with the uniform). We could also choose to wear plain black trousers, if we wanted. Coats had to be a dark colour, but there are no rules on what style, just no big logos. My school were strict on jewellery, one single stud in each ear and that was it - we had the envelope system as well!!!

However in sixth form we got away with quite a lot. It started off with having to wear a sixth form tie, but cos our head of sixth form absolutely loved our year, he soon changed that to just any tie so log as it co-ordinated with the shirt!!! And we could wear jewellery, but they were still against facial piercings, other than the ear. People used to have to stick bits of plaster over noses and eyebrows to cover up studs!!!
    mine was pretty relaxed compared to that- white shirt (with green and gold tie) or polo shirt with school logo, black trousers or skirt and a dark green jumper with the school logo. if you were a prefect or a peer counsellor you got a black jumper and tie! we had the envelope system for jewellery but i had so much stuff "lost" that i gave up wearing it altogether!

ReputationRep:
    State school upto year 11 - polo shirt, black jumper

College - **** all, meaning we go how we want

ReputationRep:
    And the dead come back to life...!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, zombie thread!

Our college principal said he didn't care what we wore or what colour or hair was as long as we didn't turn up to lessons drunk/on drugs. Pretty liberal for North Devon.

ReputationRep:
    didnt think any 6th form had 2 wear uniform

ReputationRep:
    Not uniform but we have to dress 'smart'. The girls got yelled at yesterday for letting the standards 'slip' or something. Smart isn't comfy :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think the omnipresence of uniform says everything that needs to be said about our education system. At a pragmatic level, I didn't have a problem with it. But at a semiotic level, it signifies subordination and unswerving dedication to executing the will of another however miscalculated that move is. Which is precisely why it represents, in my mind anyway, everything that needs to be said about the British school system.

ReputationRep:
    Our uniform is formal, but quote liberal at the same time.

Basically, you have to wear jacket, shirt, dark trousers and a tie. Or a suit

The variations can be immense: any tie, any shirt, and (almost) any jacket. You do get the odd person wearing light trousers/wierd variations

They used to be more common, and hairstyles were more crazy, but we got a new headmaster who proved to be an authoritarian, petty, small minded d**khead, and he banned it all. Luckily people are now starting to move back again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    When you did (or are about to do) your A-levels, did you have to wear a uniform?
    unfortunately i have to

ReputationRep:
    I still have to wear uniform: white/light blue shirt, v-neck sweater(optional), navy blue blazer with school/6th form badge, and school ties (either school, sport, prefect or 6th form..there are loads of different ones!!!) plus black/grey trousers and socks and black shoes.

I don't mind really....but it would be nice to have the option of wearing say a suit instead.

G

ReputationRep:
    You poor people! We always compained about our uniform becuause we weren't allowed to wear polo shirts and the other school in town could....

Yr 7-11 girls have to wear grey or black trousers (no flares!) or a grey skirt of 'suitable' length adn style (although one girl in my year seemed to have a progressively shrinking one!), white shirt, and a grey sweatshirt with the school logo or a black blazer and school tie, but not many wear the blazer. Boys have to wear black or grey trousers, a black blazer with logo, a blue, white or grey shirt, optional grey pullover and blue stripey school tie. Oh and I think boys on the rugby team can wear a special tie...There's no rules about coats really, except you're not meant to wear them in the school building, and they don't really like sports jackets when the lads wear them instead of their blazers. But in the summer you have to ask for permission to take your blazer or jumper off, and some teachers were really mean and wouldn't let us...

No uniform for sixth form, but we're supposed to dress smartly, ie no jeans or trainers, or sleeveless tops for the girls or excessive make up and jewllery. Mostly we get away with a little more casual but every now and then the head of year has a crackdown and does the whole anouncement in assembly thing. Hmmph.

ReputationRep:
    We have to wear matching suits..
    It's seriously violation of human rights..
    I wanna hang around in my jeans and be a tramp!!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Years 7-11: Pretty standard uniform consisting of a navy blue v-neck sweatshirt with college emblem, white shirt (long-sleeved, option of short-sleeved in summer term), grey trousers/skirts (knee length… not exactly a stringently enforced rule) and the college tie.

6th form: More or less anything goes, with exception of extreme fashions, however you wish to interpret that.

ReputationRep:
    we got a new headteacher at the beginning of yr 11, whos cracked dwn loads of school uniform. 6th form have to wear *strict business dress* but if you're lucky u can get away with a nice plain pair of combats- u get sent home if ur in anything apart from shirt/decent top/skirt/trousers/proper shoes. there was a rumour goin round that she was going to make the 6th form wear suits after we left (bear in mind we're all girls) which caused a huge mass exodus of pupils after they finished their gcse's.....

ReputationRep:
    i'm at the same school as gzftan, in fact we are good buddies.

but i actually hate our uniform, its exactly the same as the yr 11s uniform and quite frankly they suck.

Suits would be such a better option, but there is the factor of cost.......

ReputationRep:
    I had to wear uniform from age 3 to 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    I think the omnipresence of uniform says everything that needs to be said about our education system. At a pragmatic level, I didn't have a problem with it. But at a semiotic level, it signifies subordination and unswerving dedication to executing the will of another however miscalculated that move is. Which is precisely why it represents, in my mind anyway, everything that needs to be said about the British school system.
    For some it gives an identity or solidarity with a group.

For others it represents oppression because it helps inculcate discipline.

Then again, practically, it saves an awful lot on clothing costs and indecision about what to wear.

Finally, for those who cannot compete enconomically with the 'fashion parade' it is a great level(ler) and does not discriminate between the 'haves and have nots'.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.