How can I persuade my parents to let me study abroad?

Watch
HazMusicPanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've been in talks with my uni about doing study abroad since November and have had loads of complications but basically I now know that I could study in California for 2nd semester 2nd year. And I study music and theatre so somewhere like California, where LA and places around it are an option, is a pretty good place to go. I've wanted to do study abroad since I found out I could at uni open days and my parents know this - I went to the study abroad talks at every uni I saw.

I had a talk with the SA team and found out that the price to study in Cali, in the places I want to (not LA), would add up to essentially a slightly discounted 4th year (including accommodation, travel, entertainment etc). I know that it'll obviously take it's toll but I'll still get student finance (not too sure how much rn) and it's not as if my family can't afford it. It is expensive, but it wouldn't put us in debt and I would definitely get a job to try and put some money towards it, spend minimally next semester etc. But it's still expensive and my dad's not on board with it. His argument is basically, will it get you a job/make you money? Is it worth all the effort and an extra £8/9k? He's also worried about the political climate and I get it. I really do. I'm a little worried about these things too. But here's my stance.

Even if the specific modules I do aren't too different to what I could do in the UK, the fact that I've gone to the effort of studying abroad, and the fact that I could potentially go to a conservatory (this is one of the options. not sure whether I can do it yet but tbd) would automatically look good on a CV. And also that I've done music in such a place like California is useful as well. I also put forward the fact that in the UK, where I'm studying right now, I feel like I'm swimming in a lake. But if I go to the US, I'll be in the sea and I reckon I'll have a better taste at how the various industries work and figure out what it is I want to do there, whilst also experiencing a new culture and all that (that was an attempt at the small fish in a big sea analogy). Also, I'll only be there 5 months. Which means 1 - not as badly affected with the politics (I hope) and 2 - if I don't like it, I have the safety blanket of having 3rd year to come back to. If I went after uni, as he's suggesting as an alternative (or rather, he's just saying it now and we'd be having the same discussion 3 years time), if I don't like it and decide to come back, I'll have nothing do to. It's a bit more expensive probably, but I honestly believe that if I'm going to try this out, now's the best time while I'm "young" and am attached to the uni and have so much support.

My issue is, my dad's still not buying it. A little more now, but still not much. Can you guys help me figure out how to convince him? Not like sneaky, lying and that because this is big but anymore ideas? It'd really help.

also sorry for the really long post :P
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HazMusicPanda)
So I've been in talks with my uni about doing study abroad since November and have had loads of complications but basically I now know that I could study in California for 2nd semester 2nd year. And I study music and theatre so somewhere like California, where LA and places around it are an option, is a pretty good place to go. I've wanted to do study abroad since I found out I could at uni open days and my parents know this - I went to the study abroad talks at every uni I saw.

I had a talk with the SA team and found out that the price to study in Cali, in the places I want to (not LA), would add up to essentially a slightly discounted 4th year (including accommodation, travel, entertainment etc). I know that it'll obviously take it's toll but I'll still get student finance (not too sure how much rn) and it's not as if my family can't afford it. It is expensive, but it wouldn't put us in debt and I would definitely get a job to try and put some money towards it, spend minimally next semester etc. But it's still expensive and my dad's not on board with it. His argument is basically, will it get you a job/make you money? Is it worth all the effort and an extra £8/9k? He's also worried about the political climate and I get it. I really do. I'm a little worried about these things too. But here's my stance.

Even if the specific modules I do aren't too different to what I could do in the UK, the fact that I've gone to the effort of studying abroad, and the fact that I could potentially go to a conservatory (this is one of the options. not sure whether I can do it yet but tbd) would automatically look good on a CV. And also that I've done music in such a place like California is useful as well. I also put forward the fact that in the UK, where I'm studying right now, I feel like I'm swimming in a lake. But if I go to the US, I'll be in the sea and I reckon I'll have a better taste at how the various industries work and figure out what it is I want to do there, whilst also experiencing a new culture and all that (that was an attempt at the small fish in a big sea analogy). Also, I'll only be there 5 months. Which means 1 - not as badly affected with the politics (I hope) and 2 - if I don't like it, I have the safety blanket of having 3rd year to come back to. If I went after uni, as he's suggesting as an alternative (or rather, he's just saying it now and we'd be having the same discussion 3 years time), if I don't like it and decide to come back, I'll have nothing do to. It's a bit more expensive probably, but I honestly believe that if I'm going to try this out, now's the best time while I'm "young" and am attached to the uni and have so much support.

My issue is, my dad's still not buying it. A little more now, but still not much. Can you guys help me figure out how to convince him? Not like sneaky, lying and that because this is big but anymore ideas? It'd really help.

also sorry for the really long post :P
Honestly i dont see how you can. i wasnt really that convinced by your argument. What sprang to mind is talk to your tutor see if there are any scholarships. I'd also look into suspending your studies and getting a job or see if theres anyway you could do it after your degree?

I dont think the political climate is anything to worry about considering it is California.

It boils down to you wanting £ of your dad and he doesnt see the value. Maybe ask him to make it a loan?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads