Turn on thread page Beta

can any1 help with a couple of a2 level chem q's i have?...please watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, firstly:

how could methylbenzene be converted into benzenecarboxylic acid? state the type of reaction and suggest a suitable reagent

and:

how could phenylethanone (C6H6COCH3 if i'm not mistaken) be converted into 1-phenylethanol? state the type of reaction and suggest a suitable reagent

i have looked through all my books and on the net, and couldn't find anything so am left feeling a little puzzled (i look like this: :confused: )
    i'm grateful for any help. cheers

ReputationRep:
    It seems alll very familiar to me...but i can't get it out of my brain....*struggles with memory and loses*

Can i just ask why you're doing academic work in the holidays????? We spend too much time as it is in evil educational establishments....

ReputationRep:
    yeah, ill tell you why, because my stupid college makes us go back for 4 weeks after the AS course to start A2s. so, now i have a mountain of homework to do for next term. its stupid :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thats sooooo stoooopid. Lemme have a look and i'll PM back answers when i have a min....think its not too bad tho good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    yeah, ill tell you why, because my stupid college makes us go back for 4 weeks after the AS course to start A2s. so, now i have a mountain of homework to do for next term. its stupid :rolleyes:
    Ours did that, its great though because we finished the chem course in bout march and just relaxed

ReputationRep:
    yeh same here-the chem course is so short-at least for OCR that is (Nothing like OCR Biology )

ReputationRep:
    ok, firstly:

how could methylbenzene be converted into benzenecarboxylic acid? state the type of reaction and suggest a suitable reagent
    It is a side-chain oxidation. Reagents: Potassium Manganate (VII) in alkaline solution
    and:

how could phenylethanone (C6H6COCH3 if i'm not mistaken) be converted into 1-phenylethanol? state the type of reaction and suggest a suitable reagent
    I think it's a reduction reaction. Reagents: LiAlH4 [Lithium Tetrahydridoaluminate (III) ]in dry ether

I havent done chem since June so i am not TOTALLY sure about the answers.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for all the help kids, really appreciate it
    god im so tired. ive not even been doing anything...

ReputationRep:
    Well well its me again, I've just finished A level chem, can't even bloody remember the whole benzene section!! Well, we'll see if I did remember in the exam, when results come out thurs...good luck with yours too. Let me know how you did. I bloomin hope I get my AAA.

Notice how i keep popping up in your threads?? Mwahahahaha!!! > Did you want my A2 folder?? It's a bit of a mess though!!! teehee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    It is a side-chain oxidation. Reagents: Potassium Manganate (VII) in alkaline solution
    You must state that the permanganate solution is hot (probably by using the triangle symbol). It's just an oxidation not a side-chain oxidation (thought I doubt you'll lose marks for this). You can also use a Cobalt (Co) catalyst at 140oC whilst bubbling oxygen through the toluene - this gives you a purer product (the ketone is a side product in the other reaction).

I think it's a reduction reaction. Reagents: LiAlH4 [Lithium Tetrahydridoaluminate (III) ]in dry ether
    or NaBH4 sodium borohydride - it's a bit gentler than Lithal. Don't worry about the solvent as the question doesn't ask for it.

I havent done chem since June so i am not TOTALLY sure about the answers.
    Pretty good nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivineComedy)
    Did you want my A2 folder?? It's a bit of a mess though!!! teehee!
    not necessary, i already have quite a messy one to be going on with - and the most amazing book - A level chemistry by (E.N.) ramsden. its amazing. doesnt have the above in tho...

ReputationRep:
    not necessary, i already have quite a messy one to be going on with - and the most amazing book - A level chemistry by (E.N.) ramsden. its amazing. doesnt have the above in tho...
    Are you considering taking Chem further, if so I would recommed solomons organic chemistry as a good basic book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Are you considering taking Chem further, if so I would recommed solomons organic chemistry as a good basic book.
    i want to do medicine - but i really really love chemistry. its one of the most amazing things in the world. god i'm a geek

ReputationRep:
    i want to do medicine - but i really really love chemistry. its one of the most amazing things in the world. god i'm a geek
    Please do chemistry then, we need more people with a passion for the subject. Chemistry is amazing and it gets even more interesting the further up the educational ladder you climb. Job prospects are second to none too.

When I was at school everyone else in my A-Level class was either medic, dentist, vet or engineer - it's depressing that out of my whole year of 120 I am the only person with a chemistry degree. Even if you want to do medicine it's still possbile after a chem degree (grad med school) and you'll be streets ahead of the other doctors. I've seen a lot of potentially great scientists wasted on medicine.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps i will if i dont get into med school, but i really have my heart set on being a doctor.

i hadnt actually considered doing chemistry, but now you've messed with my head...grrr

ReputationRep:
    i want to go to uni of nottinham too!

ReputationRep:
    i want to go to uni of nottinham too!
    Excellent Med School and Chemistry Dept. can't go wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    Oh saaaaaaaaaaaaarah, if you want to be a doctor, go on and be one! I know you'd make a great doctor!

PS.... good luck with the driving test buster....

.........(sly laugh wondering if sarah realises who this is)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, there's lots of other medical places you can go into where you can use your chemistry talents. Have you considered doing Pharmacology? That way you can make all the medicines that the doctors use (and they're the things that are really improving the quality of life of the patients out there). If you're not sure about doing Chemistry I'd recommend doing work experience somewhere like GlaxoSmithKline if they're nearby. Alternatively GlaxoWellcome, Allen&Hanbury or that other one... argh, I can't remember the name but I think it had Proctor in it (damn these merging multicorporations!)

Hehe, I've probably just confused you even more, but seriously - there's so many prospective doctors studying out in the world that the competition for Uni places is extremely strong. If there's any blemish in your academic record then they may find an excuse to reject you (sadly ) - and remember that you can only apply for 3 medical/dentistry courses on your UCAS form so it's good to have a backup plan! Immunology or Pathology might suit you too as it's medically-based but there's a lot of chemistry involved in immunological attack/defense

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.