Turn on thread page Beta
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    some incredibly bored perso who likes to make others life hell!!!

ReputationRep:
    Blame the romans!

http://www.taxcentral.co.uk/taxcentr...ax/default.asp

only found out last month that national insurance is 10% !!!! dont get me wrong I love having the NHS (when it works) but surely most of it is wasted on war, right?

(Original post by jak)
    but surely most of it is wasted on war, right?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak)
    Blame the romans!

http://www.taxcentral.co.uk/taxcentr...ax/default.asp

only found out last month that national insurance is 10% !!!! dont get me wrong I love having the NHS (when it works) but surely most of it is wasted on war, right?
    if you dont like the tax, do you know what you should do?

ReputationRep:
    My political science lecturer told me a story about tax which I think explains its origins rather well, it goes like this:

Imagine you have a small village, you are self-sufficient and live in peace, there is no government because everything runs smoothly and there doesn't seem to be any great need (as was the case many moons ago). All of a sudden a group of bandits come and steal your crops and other produce, so the villagers re-grow everything. Next year they come and steal everything again, and so on. The villagers are totally demotivated to produce because they know it'll be stolen so they decide to move. The question for the bandits becomes how to keep the villagers there and producing. So they decide to stay there in the village and in exchange for a percentage of all the villagers produce they offer them constant protection against other groups of bandits. This way the villagers, and bandits create an equilibrium.

This, my friends, is the story of tax (and government) creation. Sounds like a very pro-anarchist story to me, and given that im an authoritarian I don't attach to much truth to it but I liked it so I thought I'd share it with all of you. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    if you dont like the tax, do you know what you should do?
    yes, if you dont like tax move to the channel islands, lichtenstein, andorra, gibraltar, monaco or find some other tax haven on escapeartist.com.......... or hell just lie and evade taxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    My political science lecturer told me a story about tax which I think explains its origins rather well, it goes like this:

Imagine you have a small village, you are self-sufficient and live in peace, there is no government because everything runs smoothly and there doesn't seem to be any great need (as was the case many moons ago). All of a sudden a group of bandits come and steal your crops and other produce, so the villagers re-grow everything. Next year they come and steal everything again, and so on. The villagers are totally demotivated to produce because they know it'll be stolen so they decide to move. The question for the bandits becomes how to keep the villagers there and producing. So they decide to stay there in the village and in exchange for a percentage of all the villagers produce they offer them constant protection against other groups of bandits. This way the villagers, and bandits create an equilibrium.

This, my friends, is the story of tax (and government) creation. Sounds like a very pro-anarchist story to me, and given that im an authoritarian I don't attach to much truth to it but I liked it so I thought I'd share it with all of you. Any thoughts?
    Personally I would have killed all the bandits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak)
    Blame the romans!
    Yes! I blame them quite a lot regarding to this country's history.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure about this, but I read a book on Roman history years ago and it said that after the first big conquests, the victorious generals brought back so many treasures that Romans didn't have to pay taxes anymore... Maybe that just extended to Roman citizens and not to everyone in the Roman Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    I'm sure about this, but I read a book on Roman history years ago and it said that after the first big conquests, the victorious generals brought back so many treasures that Romans didn't have to pay taxes anymore... Maybe that just extended to Roman citizens and not to everyone in the Roman Empire.
    They stole from other countries to pay for themselves, such as what we call England and Wales today. They could have chosen to set foot on Hibernia. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    They stole from other countries to pay for themselves, such as what we call England and Wales today. They could have chosen to set foot on Hibernia. Ah well.
    Hehe, not a bad way to get rid of tax!! Romanus s(c)um!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak)

RIGHT! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)

If bandits comes steal from me i'll shoot them!!! If i started a biz in a country where there is no TAX, i would 100% profit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    yes, if you dont like tax move to the channel islands, lichtenstein, andorra, gibraltar, monaco or find some other tax haven on escapeartist.com.......... or hell just lie and evade taxes
    exactly... i hate when people complain and could just go to some other nice place to live and not worry about this stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I'm gona move to those country within the next 5 yrs!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Hehe, not a bad way to get rid of tax!! Romanus s(c)um!
    Your country was affected too. Don't you forget that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Your country was affected too. Don't you forget that
    lol, hehe, only a part of it though! The better part of it, nevertheless... Ah, I'll forgive the Romans, they gave us a lot for our tax money.

Mounty Pythons spring to mind: "What have the Romans ever done for us?" (The Life of Brian)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak)
    i'd just like to point out that there is a difference between national insurance contributions and income tax.

national insurance counts towards your basic state retirement pension, so you shouldn't really fuss about NI payments since it just gives you more money when u turn 65.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.