The Student Room Group

Step up to social work 2018 cohort

Hi,

I'm looking at moving into social work and decided upon Step Up to Social Work, doing a MA at university just doesnt make sense financially.

I've registered my interest on the gov website but haven't heard anything, not even a confirmation that I signed up. Has anyone else heard anything? It says applications will be in March which is getting very close.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same here also looking and have registered my interest but have not heard anything
Reply 2
The application process is opening at the end of March, you should get an email from them. They will be sending out further information at a later date.
Hi everyone, I'm going to be applying for this too :smile: I hope I get in, I've heard it's really competitive, what kind of background do you all have? Hannah :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hannah124
Hi everyone, I'm going to be applying for this too :smile: I hope I get in, I've heard it's really competitive, what kind of background do you all have? Hannah :smile:

Hi! I'm switching careers, currently working in IT, wanting work with more purpose. I've been volunteering with a local charity for nearly a year where I've been matched with a young person with ASD and meet up with them every week. My parents also fostered for a few years when I was younger. I hope this will be enough experience, I don't really know what's expected.
Hi it's good there's a thread on this already. I'm really hoping to get it, it sounds so good but I know it's competitive. Do you guys know anymore info about it? There's not a lot on the website x
Original post by Victoria934
Hi it's good there's a thread on this already. I'm really hoping to get it, it sounds so good but I know it's competitive. Do you guys know anymore info about it? There's not a lot on the website x

Hi Victoria,

I too would like to know more, I hope when they open up to applications at the end of the month we'll know more :smile:
Original post by Azura91
Hi! I'm switching careers, currently working in IT, wanting work with more purpose. I've been volunteering with a local charity for nearly a year where I've been matched with a young person with ASD and meet up with them every week. My parents also fostered for a few years when I was younger. I hope this will be enough experience, I don't really know what's expected.

I'm with you on not knowing how much experience is enough, I imagine it'd be how you can apply it to social work. I've been teaching (primary) for nearly three years and volunteering with children and disabled adults for 7 years.
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm applying for West Midlands area! Hoepfully it will open soon previous years opened around 16th/17th March and closed mid May!

Bit nervous about an assessment centre and I have a holiday booked in July - the last couple of years the assessment dates have been end of June so fingers crossed:K:

When it comes to experience I think a lot of people have questioned this and have a variety of different experience - I will have been a family support worker for over 2 years since finishing my post grad July 2015. Some work I have done is Social Workers work so I'm hoping this is enough!!!

A lot of forums I've read say not to worry too much!
Reply 9
Original post by Lolleigh18
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm applying for West Midlands area! Hoepfully it will open soon previous years opened around 16th/17th March and closed mid May!

Bit nervous about an assessment centre and I have a holiday booked in July - the last couple of years the assessment dates have been end of June so fingers crossed:K:

When it comes to experience I think a lot of people have questioned this and have a variety of different experience - I will have been a family support worker for over 2 years since finishing my post grad July 2015. Some work I have done is Social Workers work so I'm hoping this is enough!!!

A lot of forums I've read say not to worry too much!

I'm heading off travelling in July so also really hoping the assessment day is before then.

Have they said what areas are available, I've only seen about previous years.
Nothing at the moment.
I'm looking at Birmingham and step up is mentioned on the uni website so maybe look into your area and what uni it was at in previous years it may tell you a bit more x
Im also interested and check every day to see if anything has changed on the government website! I registered my interest and have received an email back to say they will keep me informed. I currently work as a Pupil and Family Support Manager and SENDCo in a Pupil Referral Unit. I have just completed a Teaching Learning and Mentoring Degree (distance learner). I am 44 and everybody I know thinks I'm mad for applying. I love my current job but just want to progress in something new. Not sure if Im doing the right thing but it is something I have thought and talked about for a long time so going to see how far I can take it!
I am also looking at applying but panicking at the moment as i do not have a 2:1 degree. I have lots of experience but think my degree will let me down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Surely applications will open any time now!!!
Original post by Lolleigh18
Surely applications will open any time now!!!

I'm checking the website all the time, refreshing the page haha!
Original post by Hannah124
I'm checking the website all the time, refreshing the page haha!

Yep me to!!
I think the previous cohort opened around 16th March so fingers crossed some point this week.
Reply 16
Hey glad I found this and now I dont feel as crazy I have literally refreshed the gov page everyday and just want to see something change on there so excited about applying but scared at same time its a worry im not what they looking for πŸ˜…
Sending us all crazy waiting for it to open by the sounds of it :lol:
I think if you have a 2:1 or 2:2 in the certain levels of degrees they ask & some form of experience in the field everyone will have a chance.
Every time someone comments I think it's because they're letting us know it's open hahaha although once it opens the hard work begins
Reply 19
Well I'm off to bed been up since 4am, lets hope it opens tomoz and don't let refreshing the gov page be all you dream about lol πŸ˜‚

Latest