starley1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Buddhism has always been something that's interested me and I want to go about finding more information so I can start practising. Does anyone have a particularly good websites or books that explains a lot of Buddhism, what it's about and how to begin practising. There's so many books so any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Any tips from yourselves would be great too. - thanks!
Drostina
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This book is not particularly a Buddhism book but it teaches you how to be positive every day and enjoy every second of your life which is a great start to becoming a Spiritual/Buddhist person.

It is called "The secret to teen power", Great book to becoming a positive person!
starley1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thankyou! I'll check it out ☺️
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by starley1234)
Thankyou! I'll check it out ☺️
Sure! Let me know what you think, It is nice to see another spiritual person on this forum. Good luck with your Journey!
Livvyxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Girl Seeks Bliss is one of my absolute favourites in simplistic buddhism. (not sure why it's so expensive on amazon but if you can find it elsewhere I HIGHLY recommend it. - my copy is so dog-eared and read I'm surprised it's still bound)

Buddhism Plain and Simple is another good, concise little introduction.

Once you're accustomed with the basics of buddhism then it's time to get out the big guns and read The Dalai Lama's books, How To Practice and The Art of Happiness.

Also interesting is the story of Tenzin Palmo, a woman who devoted her life to becoming a buddhist nun and spent 12 years happily meditating in a cave.

Hope that's some help!
username3106406
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can certainly see an attraction to Buddhism, there is plenty of material out there, but the key is moderation and not doing anything that goes beyond your current means. I suppose that's really the only advice anyone can offer, the rest is for you to seek out, it would be interesting to hear about your experiences once you get a little further down the line.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Books will only help so far because there is - despite the obvious common themes linking them - *huge* divergence and difference within Buddhism. You're better off finding a local meditation group or sangha (they are dotted about semi-regularly these days) and going and speaking to some people, sound them out.

The books mentioned are all helpful to a point, having a little flick through the Pali Canon is advisable (not as scary as it sounds!) as you will quickly get a feel for the central tenets of 'Buddhism' per se rather than the scholastic biases of Buddhism put forth by people like the Dalai Lama. Something like Gombrich's What the Buddha Thought might help, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (250)
33.92%
No (487)
66.08%

Watched Threads