confused about firm and insurance choice!!!

Watch
xobxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've received all of my offers and want to firm a uni asap. My favourite was UO Leeds, and second favourite UO Manchester. My problem is, I'm uncertain whether I'll reach the grade requirements (AAA) for Leeds, and I'll end up going to Manchester and living in an accommodation I don't want to be in (because you obviously don't get priority with accommodation when something is your insurance choice), but then I don't want to not firm Leeds (meaning I'd firm manchester and make my second choice UO Birmingham or UO Leceister) and get the grades for Leeds and not be able to go my favourite uni. I hope that makes sense as it's a debate I've been having with myself for weeks and I need some advice!! Thank you all.
username2396433
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look,

Make Leeds your top, as you've said it's your favourite.
Then make Manchester your second, like planned.
If you live in accommodation that you don't want to, it's genuinely only for a bit and then you can find your own place. Even a few months, or in the second year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xobxo)
I've received all of my offers and want to firm a uni asap. My favourite was UO Leeds, and second favourite UO Manchester. My problem is, I'm uncertain whether I'll reach the grade requirements (AAA) for Leeds, and I'll end up going to Manchester and living in an accommodation I don't want to be in (because you obviously don't get priority with accommodation when something is your insurance choice), but then I don't want to not firm Leeds (meaning I'd firm manchester and make my second choice UO Birmingham or UO Leceister) and get the grades for Leeds and not be able to go my favourite uni. I hope that makes sense as it's a debate I've been having with myself for weeks and I need some advice!! Thank you all.
Firm the one you want to go to the most.
Pick the best of the rest and use that as your insurance. Its as simple as that.

The only influence you have is to work hard and get your grades. Not many people are certain of making their grades, hence you have an insurance.
When you get your results and if its the insurance then get onto Manchester asap. If you dont get accommodation you like then consider using the private sector. It happens to people every year and they survive. The last half of your post is mindboggling.
xobxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoritoEvie)
Look,

Make Leeds your top, as you've said it's your favourite.
Then make Manchester your second, like planned.
If you live in accommodation that you don't want to, it's genuinely only for a bit and then you can find your own place. Even a few months, or in the second year.
Thank you, I suppose accommodation isn't the most important thing.
xobxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Firm the one you want to go to the most.
Pick the best of the rest and use that as your insurance. Its as simple as that.

The only influence you have is to work hard and get your grades. Not many people are certain of making their grades, hence you have an insurance.
When you get your results and if its the insurance then get onto Manchester asap. If you dont get accommodation you like then consider using the private sector. It happens to people every year and they survive. The last half of your post is mindboggling.
Haha sorry, the whole thing is mindboggling to me, my sixth form is no help at all! But thank you
LottiePy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xobxo)
Haha sorry, the whole thing is mindboggling to me, my sixth form is no help at all! But thank you
Having spoken to an accommodation officer at Manchester University last year I was told that they don't differentiate between firm and insurance offers. On results day their computer allocates accommodation to successful applicants in order of the date they applied. The main thing therefore is to apply now for your Manchester accommodation even if you haven't decided on your firm/insurance yet. It only takes a few minutes on their website. My daughter is really happy at Manchester University now but put Leeds as your firm if you really want to go there.
xobxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by LottiePy)
Having spoken to an accommodation officer at Manchester University last year I was told that they don't differentiate between firm and insurance offers. On results day their computer allocates accommodation to successful applicants in order of the date they applied. The main thing therefore is to apply now for your Manchester accommodation even if you haven't decided on your firm/insurance yet. It only takes a few minutes on their website. My daughter is really happy at Manchester University now but put Leeds as your firm if you really want to go there.
Wow that's really useful to know, thank you! I've chosen my accommodation now for manchester, unaware that I could have done this weeks ago as you don't even have to firm/insure it to select accommodation. Thanks again
LottiePy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xobxo)
Wow that's really useful to know, thank you! I've chosen my accommodation now for manchester, unaware that I could have done this weeks ago as you don't even have to firm/insure it to select accommodation. Thanks again
No problem, glad I could help 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads